Help recording OTA channels - can view, can't record

bgodfreyx

HTPC Specs: Show details

Help recording OTA channels - can view, can't record

Post by bgodfreyx » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:50 pm

I've spent days trying to resolve an issue and I can't seem to break through. I've also searched the posts here but couldn't find anything that resolves my issue. Any help that anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

THE ISSUE
I use an OTA antenna and I can watch live TV perfectly. However some channels immediately error out when I try to record them.
I believe I am dealing with some sort of codec issue and I am not sure where to go from here to fix it.

THE DETAILS
Computer: HP Pavilion HPE h8xt
Video Tuner Card: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 PCI-E x1 TV Tuner
Antenna: RCA ANT751R Outdoor Antenna Optimized for Digital Reception

Here is the situation...
I open WMC on my PC, navigate to the guide, open a channel, and the picture is crystal clear (perfect quality). I then press the Record button and immediately the following message pops up: "Service is unavailable. There is currently no TV signal detected for this channel. The channel may be temporarily off the air. Try again later."

Note that the error message only appears on some channels. Other channels work as expected and have no issues recording.

As an experiment, last night I downloaded a trial version of Beyond TV4. Using the same PC, same video tuner card, same antenna, same everything... I was able to record the channels that do not record using WMC. This is why I believe the issue is software related and not a hardware or antenna issue.

Why? Arrgghhh. Why?

PLEA FOR HELP
If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this weirdness and potential solutions I would love your input. I am open to try anything at this point.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 pm

Check for duplicate sources. Go to the Guide, press the left arrow to select the channel number, and press enter/OK. Choose "Edit channel" -> "Edit Sources". Are there entries here for more than one physical channel number? Deactivate the incorrect ones (probably the bottom ones) by un-checking the box on the left of each incorrect entry. Save.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:16 pm

2nd that.

bgodfreyx

Post by bgodfreyx » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:05 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I found under many channels there were 6 sources. It will be a bit of work to clear out the sources that are not tuning anything in but I have confirmed that removing the extra sources does work.

Thanks again.