The Kaleidescape Cinema One

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

The Kaleidescape Cinema One

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:53 pm

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Ha, well written article. Glad that he mentioned that you can do the same with media center (and a whole lot more, like dvr functions). Kaleidescape still have tip keep lowerng their prices if they want to survive in this marketplace.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:34 pm

I love this part (referring to people who use Windows Media Center):
Those folks don’t enjoy anything like the beauty, simplicity and polish of the Kaleidescape. They don’t get to auto-skip the FBI warnings and stuff. They don’t get the gorgeous software design or the children’s remote. If they copy their Blu-ray discs, they do so in a legally questionable manner.

They also don’t get Kaleidescape’s “incredibly deep cache of cinematic information, manually created by the Movie Guide team, like aspect ratio, audio streams, language tracks, scenes, songs, special features, audio subtitles, closed captioning, etc.,” says a company rep. Kaleidescape’s editors also manually build a menu of scene bookmarks for each movie: “So if you’re in the mood for being chased by the boulder, or Jack Nicholson coming through the door with the axe, it’s just a tap on the iPad app away.”
I would argue about all of that except the children's remote part. I can rip a movie to ISO, preserving all of the extra features and I can remove the FBI warnings and stuff. I haven't seen the Kaleidescape's gorgeous software design, but I'm perfectly happy with Media Center. And, I do get a bunch of information about the movies.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:59 pm

^^Yea, the author of the article needs to do some more homework.

Regarding the statement "They don’t get the gorgeous software design", yes we do with Media Browser, XBMC, My Movies, etc.

As for this product, who would pay $4,000 for a system where is takes 2 hours to import a Blu-ray, and you still have to put in the disk when you want to watch the movie.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:19 pm

Yeah, 2 hours to rip a Bluray is terribly slow when you're not transcoding.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:44 pm

I would like to know the market for this, because I'll gladly sell a clone for half the price and make out well... Even if I only sell 1 a month.

My kids were watching a movie at their cousin's house the other weekend (with a tradititional DVD player) and I think it was the first time they ever sat through previews, the FBI warning, the DVD menu etc... We barely made it to the movie before they lost interest.