Custom channels for other devices

rantanamo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Custom channels for other devices

Post by rantanamo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:04 pm

I received a Roku 3 and for now, just simply switch HDMI inputs. But I was wondering, with the Colossus out there, and perhaps software like DVBlink, might it be possible to somehow integrate either channel or an app that would display the Roku? I've often wondered this for purposes of using a cable box's on-demand, but now that I have a Roku, I would like that even more. Is this possible at all?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:33 pm

I suppose you could use a Colossus or an HD-PVR for that, but it would be a less than ideal solution with all the lag in those two devices.

It's much easier to just buy a programmable remote like a Harmony and setup a macro that changes to the correct input when needed.

What I've done with my Roku is to use EventGhost (EG) combined with the Pulse-Eight HDMI-CEC device and the EG plugin that I wrote which controls the Roku over the network. My EG configuration is setup in such a way that the TV thinks that the Roku device is CEC compliant. This gives me the ability to do a variety of things, depending on my needs and wants. For example, I could put a new item in a Media Center menu strip that tells EG to run the macro to switch to the Roku device. And/or, I could setup an EG macro that triggers on an IR command from my remote.

So far, I have it setup so that the TV remote can control the Roku. The TV remote is much nicer than the remote that comes with the Roku because the TV remote has volume buttons which control the volume of my A/V Receiver (also using HDMI-CEC). And, I can press the Source button on the TV remote and choose which device I want to watch (currently "Media Ctr" and "Roku" are my only devices in the Source menu).

The next time the wife lets me fiddle with the TV, I plan to setup IR commands that will switch to Roku or Media Center via a single button press. I also like the idea of a menu strip item that will go directly to Roku, so I may do that as well. It would be very easy to do at this point. My Roku plugin for EG even has commands to go directly to a "channel" in the Roku. I plan to uninstall the Netflix plugin from Media Center, so I could add a menu strip item that goes directly to the Roku's Netflix channel. That would make it seamless for the family.

brendabryg

Post by brendabryg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:49 pm

rantanamo wrote:I received a Roku 3 and for now, just simply switch HDMI inputs. But I was wondering, with the Colossus out there, and perhaps software like DVBlink, might it be possible to somehow integrate either channel or an app that would display the Roku? I've often wondered this for purposes of using a cable box's on-demand, but now that I have a Roku, I would like that even more. Is this possible at all?
I have a colossus setup with DVBlink, and actually do something very much like this. I have a 3 input hdmi switch which can be controlled by IR remote and into it I run a satellite box, a chromecast, and a Win8 PC (not the one hosting media center). I've setup 3 different instances of the colossus in DVBlink and configure a remote prefix in the IRblasting part of the setup to change the hdmi switch to the correct input. So essentially in my guide I have all my satellite channels, then 2 additional custom channels (1 for chromecast, 1 for PC) which I can switch to.

It works pretty good for my extenders b/c then I can have chromecast Netflix etc, and be able to see my Win8 PC and control it with full gestutres via splashtop on a phone or tablet; for these scenarios the lag isn't a problem. I can see how it could be on a Roku though since there's not full control on the handheld remote device.

One downside is using the custom Chromecast or PC channel obviously means that recording can't happen from liveTV since the tuner is in use. Maybe multiple colossus' could work there.

Forgot to mention I have one of those HDMI splitters in the mix that solves any HDCP problems.

I really like the sounds of this CEC eventghost plugin above for ROKU. Just got a roku and was trying to figure out how to get it integrated somehow.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:18 pm

brendabryg wrote:I have a colossus setup with DVBlink, and actually do something very much like this. I have a 3 input hdmi switch which can be controlled by IR remote and into it I run a satellite box, a chromecast, and a Win8 PC (not the one hosting media center). I've setup 3 different instances of the colossus in DVBlink and configure a remote prefix in the IRblasting part of the setup to change the hdmi switch to the correct input. So essentially in my guide I have all my satellite channels, then 2 additional custom channels (1 for chromecast, 1 for PC) which I can switch to.

It works pretty good for my extenders b/c then I can have chromecast Netflix etc, and be able to see my Win8 PC and control it with full gestutres via splashtop on a phone or tablet; for these scenarios the lag isn't a problem. I can see how it could be on a Roku though since there's not full control on the handheld remote device.

One downside is using the custom Chromecast or PC channel obviously means that recording can't happen from liveTV since the tuner is in use. Maybe multiple colossus' could work there.

Forgot to mention I have one of those HDMI splitters in the mix that solves any HDCP problems.

I really like the sounds of this CEC eventghost plugin above for ROKU. Just got a roku and was trying to figure out how to get it integrated somehow.
Now, that is very cool. Thanks for sharing that. The Roku can be controlled from a smartphone/tablet via the Roku app (the app has a remote control with all the functions that are on the original remote that comes with the Roku). It can also be controlled by Ethernet using the EG plugin for Roku.

Since rantanamo is using a tuner (not a satellite box), he wouldn't have the problem with interrupting a recording if he changed channels to the Roku/chromecast.

The CEC and Roku plugins are two separate plugins. The CEC plugin (here) communicates with the Pulse-Eight HDMI-CEC device (either the internal or external model). The Roku plugin (here) communicates with the Roku via Ethernet or WiFi. If you read those two threads that I linked, you'll understand what I'm talking about. I posted my EG configuration in one of them.

brendabryg

Post by brendabryg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:27 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Now, that is very cool. Thanks for sharing that. The Roku can be controlled from a smartphone/tablet via the Roku app (the app has a remote control with all the functions that are on the original remote that comes with the Roku). It can also be controlled by Ethernet using the EG plugin for Roku.
Thanks, thinking about the ROKU via Colossus more I think the lag would still be a problem.

With the chromecast or PC into my colossus the visual feedback during control is directly on the device controlling - be it an android app sending to chromecast or splashtop for the PC. I'm looking at my tablet and don't care about what's on the TV at that moment, it feels good becuase it's responsive and no missed queues. Others watching don't know the difference either.

For the ROKU though the control will be on a portable device/roku remote/EG plugin; but the feedback of that control is on the TV which lags by 1/2 second to 3 seconds depending on how the stream spools up. I can see that getting pretty frusterating with the old 2 steps back and 1 forward mess.

I should note one other benefit for this chromecast channel is the instant pause record ability with my MCE remote b/c it's acutally a live channel stream. Beats fumbling around for my phone, getting to the lockscreen, hoping the media controls for chromecast are there... if not going finding the app, waiting for it to figure out chromecast is active to give me the controls, then pausing, then waiting another second or two for the stream lag to catch up...all just to answer the phone.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:01 pm

Yeah, that all makes sense. My Roku plugin has the ability to send you directly to a channel (for example, Netflix), so you don't need to use the arrow keys to move around the list of channels to select Netflix... just send the command to go directly to Netflix from the EG plugin. If you read my thread on the EG site, you'll see that I added several direct channels already, and it's really easy to add more.

I think the Roku smartphone/tablet app allows you to go directly to a channel also. If you wanted to get really creative, you could use Tasker on your Android device to create your own custom button layout, and then use AutoRemote as a plugin for Tasker to send the command to your PC. There is an EG plugin for AutoRemote, so the messages from AutoRemote will trigger events in EG. Or... you could just communicate directly with the Roku from Tasker, if you were feeling extra adventurous in Tasker.

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:47 am

thanks for some of the replies. I'm a former dvblink + HD-PVR user before the Ceton Tuners came out and there was zero lag and a recording was flawless for me as long as I reset everything once ever 3-4 day. Had been thinking about this for a while and the Roku cemented it. I do use a harmony, but I just prefer staying in the MCE interface as much as possible. I just love the look. I even use the plain movies application in MCE after years of using Mediabrowser and MyMovies. Just love the simplicity. Anyways, I would prefer there be apps for things like Hulu, WatchESPN, HBO Go, etc, but its not happening, so brendabryg's setup sounds the closest to me.

But it sounds like there's concern with lag on the Colussus, which I'm not sure I understand. Do you guys mean remote lag? If so, I'm not worried about that. Not like its lightning fast.

brendabryg

Post by brendabryg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi rantanamo, the lag I'm talking about is stream lag between source and display. Not noticable for typical tv tuning scenarios since MCE just sends the channel change via IRblaster and nobody cares too much if it takes a second. The MCE interface is still responsive b/c it has nothing to do with the tuner. (I'm assuming that's what you mean by zero lag)

For the roku via Colossus (or HDPVR) though there would be some delay navigating the actual ROKU menu once that custom channel is playing. And since many channels have relative complexity (left, right, ok combinations) to browse and select content the experience wouldn't seem fluid. Even 1/2 second of lag here could ruin the experience. I haven't tried it yet with my ROKU, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn' like it. Some solutions to this would be if there were a way to reduce that lag...might be possible. (note apparently the new XB1 only has 140ms lag on HDMI input which is respectable). The other solution would be to have a second screen type device able to control the ROKU with full visual representation of the content and navigation ability. That way you're not having to look at the TV and wait for it to catch up. I've actually noticed on Netflix & Youtube android apps I can play to ROKU just as if it were a chromecast (maybe HBO & others? don have them...) so that solves the problem for those services.

If you're using an HTPC like barnabas1969 his method of programming MCE to switch TV inputs for ROKU might be the best option. Trying to figure out if that could help me with extenders, but I don't think there's a clean way to integrate that for my setup.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:36 pm

brendabryg wrote:Trying to figure out if that could help me with extenders, but I don't think there's a clean way to integrate that for my setup.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

brendabryg

Post by brendabryg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm confused too:) Was just thinking about if there is any way to have custom entry points on the extender strip to point to the custom colossus channel, and if the EG plugin can serve any benefit for controlling ROKU (lag issues aside) when using from an extender.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:05 pm

@brendabryg: Can you detail how to setup the Colossus or HD-PVR via DVBLink? I really don't understand DVBLink.

The reason I ask is because I've been experimenting with an HD-PVR as a means to remove copy-protection from recordings that were recorded from a CableCARD tuner. I started a new thread for that topic, and I would really appreciate it if you could answer my questions in that thread. That thread is here:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 976#p70383

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:30 pm

brendabryg wrote:I'm confused too:) Was just thinking about if there is any way to have custom entry points on the extender strip to point to the custom colossus channel, and if the EG plugin can serve any benefit for controlling ROKU (lag issues aside) when using from an extender.
Thanks for your answer in my other thread. I'll post there with comments/questions.

Regarding your post (above), I'm sure you could create an item on the menu strip that tunes your colossus channel. There are several ways to do that. However, EG runs either in a user session (default behavior) or as a Windows service (non-default setup). I don't think it starts an instance of EG in each extender session, but I haven't ever checked that. It is probably possible to do this, but you'd need to make sure that your EG configuration for the extender sessions never tries to display a dialog box, because that would cause your extender session to crash. It would be necessary to run an instance of EG in the extender session in order for EG to catch the remote control events from the extender session (if this is even possible at all - it probably isn't possible without a new EG plugin for this purpose).

If it is possible to catch the remote control events from the extender session, then you could use them to trigger actions that control the Roku box.

But, I think the best way to control the Roku, after tuning the "colossus channel" from the extender, is to use the Roku app on a phone/tablet/iPod.

manielse

Post by manielse » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:45 pm

A little off-topic but just another thought. I've been thinking about adding a Slingbox in front of a Roku 3 and then adding a link in Media Center to the Web-based Slingplayer. Just a different twist as I can have to Roku in a different room but still run it from WMC and the HTPC.