My Windows 8.1 Experience (so Far)

schreibman

HTPC Specs: Show details

My Windows 8.1 Experience (so Far)

Post by schreibman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Reading through the prior threads I thought I post on my experiences so far, especially in the area of Start Up and such.

In summary;

[*]Set custom user interface set as ehome (with flags to start in Live TV):
[*]Set explorer.exe to run via scheduled task 3 mins after any user logs on:
[*]Added Custom Menu to run Metro Netflix (and some others) using the url method in Media Center Themer
[*]Added Metro via the resource links, like netflix://
[*]Couple of Bugs still

Screenshots below:

1) Set custom user interface set as ehome (with flags to start in Live TV):

2) Set explorer.exe to run via scheduled task 3 mins after any user logs on:

3) Added Custom Menu to run Metro Netflix (and some others) using the url method in Media Center Themer http://www.patchou.com/projects/media-center-themer/

4) Added Metro via the resource links, like netflix:// (see also http://www.itsjustwhatever.com/2012/12/ ... -easy-way/
) :

Couple of bugs,
1) The metro apps ONLY work when launched whilst media is playing (no idea why).
2) I always get the below error, but it does not seem to impact me:

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Nice post. I upgraded from 7 to 8.1 recently and did some of the stuff you did, but in a different manner. I have my WMC set up so that I can exit to XBMC to play media and then return to WMC when done. I also use the built in Netflix app.

One thing I am curious about is the metro netflix app. Once it is launched can you use the standard WMC remote to maneuver in it?

Thanks,
Eric

schreibman

Post by schreibman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:31 am

ewtaylo wrote:Nice post. I upgraded from 7 to 8.1 recently and did some of the stuff you did, but in a different manner. I have my WMC set up so that I can exit to XBMC to play media and then return to WMC when done. I also use the built in Netflix app.

One thing I am curious about is the metro netflix app. Once it is launched can you use the standard WMC remote to maneuver in it?

Thanks,
Eric

Still STruggling through the remote issues, and also consistency. Sometimes the netflix app fails to launch. Coincidentally I'm rethinking my remote solution, as mine (Harmony one + iMon) does not work well with Metro, as the apps like more mouse movement than arrow key commands.

I may give XBMC a shot, basically there doewsn't seem to be a prefect solution, its either perfect for everything , but ... Live TV or something else....
Its going to be a long journey....

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:30 am

The Metro Netflix app doesn't like Arrow keys to manouver but is seems to respond with the TAB key. When you have a Harmony remote you can programm one of the keys to send TAB so you can use your remote in the Netflix metro app.

.Nico