Intel i3 HD2000 tearing problems on skip fwd

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
tony_park

HTPC Specs: Show details

Intel i3 HD2000 tearing problems on skip fwd

Post by tony_park » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:05 am

Hi guys,

wonder if anyone can help, I decided to remove my ati 5450 graphics card, and use the pcie port for an already purchased tuner card. Unfortunately, now when attempting to skip forward we see about 2 seconds of tearing on the screen - seems to be the same length of time, whether HD recording or SD.

I've tried disabling enable film mode etc, but still the same :-(

Does anyone have this gpu working ok? If so, what driver version are you using and what settings are in place?

I'd like to keep using this GPU rather than put back in the ati card.

This is a fresh install of windows 7 sp1 32 bit.

Thanks
Tony

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 pm

If this is a first Gen i3 have been using its on board graphics for years with no major issues. Once in a while the fast forward will take off super fast but I just hit the play button and it starts playing from where it left off like I never hit the FF button in the first place. I will check the driver version and let you know. I think I updated it over the summer.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:47 pm

I think its a second gen version - how can I check?

Chip is Intel Core i3-2100T @2.50Ghz

Driver version installed: 9.17.10.3347

Just to note, the pixellation/tearing only happens after using skip forward or backward - the rest of the time, the picture is great :-)

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:57 pm

That's a 2nd gen (Sandy Bridge). Sandy Bridge GPUs are known to be slow, so this may just be a problem with that specific GPU. Can you temporarily put the other GPU back in to see if the problem goes away?

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi Richard,

putting the other gpu back in does resolve the issue, but I want to keep the slot for tuners ;-)

I have vague memories, when I received the pc initially, that it worked brilliantly, no problems with the graphics... maybe I'll have to see if I've still got that image to try and install to see what the difference is - thank God for Acronis True Image ;-)

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:19 am

My Intel hd graphics all did this until haswell, I've had one of each since clarkdale. Maybe not as long as 2 seconds but definitely tearing. Never could solve it....
Lee

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:52 pm

I don't have any tearing with Ivy Bridge (HD 4000). Did you have the 4000 or the 2500?

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Oh well, the oldest build I have for my pc, is not the very first one delivered, so it exhibits the same issue :-(

So, I guess the choice is, keep the setup as is, and have the extra tuners, or reduce the tuners and have better skipping... best ask the boss what she thinks - maybe its just being me, being too picky!

Not sure I want to go the whole hog of changing the processor, or motherboard to sort...

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Oh well problem solved, tonight while trying to record something, the recording failure - the newly installed tuner card disappeared from the device manager. I wouldn't mind, but this is the 3rd setup I've tried the tuner in, and same problem on each :-(

So I've put the graphics card back in.

Not quite the solution I was looking for

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:45 am

tony_park wrote:Tonight while trying to record something, the recording failed - the newly installed tuner card disappeared from the device manager. I wouldn't mind, but this is the 3rd setup I've tried the tuner in, and same problem on each
Is this with your TBS satellite card? I have a problem with my TBS terrestrial card disappearing from "Device Manager" on wake from sleep. But this only happens with the card in certain PCI-Express slots, specifically the 1x slot and the 16x slot; the TBS card works OK on wake from sleep in the 4x slot.

TBS seem to have a bit of a problem with this. I have not found a solution, other than to use hibernation instead of sleep (but hibernation has poorer usability than sleep, so may not be an acceptable work-around).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi Cyber,

nope, it was with my pinnacle 7010ix which I found lying in the back of a cupboard, where its been since last time I tested it... and it had the same disappearing act.

Oh well, I think I may get some BGT3550s instead - not bothered about having T2 signals, as the missus can't tell the difference between HD and SD, except that the sound on SD works quicker through my Amp :-)

Thanks
Tony

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:50 am

tony_park wrote:Oh well, I think I may get some BGT3550s instead - not bothered about having T2 signals, as the missus can't tell the difference between HD and SD
I see that the Blackgold website says this (complete with spelling mistakes):

Whilst we are offering this product as available, moving foward we will not be developing new driver sets specifically targetted at the new Operating Systems. We are therefore offering at a reduced price.
(http://shop.blackgold.tv/BGT3550)

The other point is that in the longer term (10 years?), DVB-T will be phased out, with DVB-T channels being replaced by DVB-T2 equivalents, so that the same number of channels can be crammed into less bandwidth, releasing more bandwidth to be sold off for mobile phone use. Still, in the longer term we are all dead.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:27 pm

Haha, who knows what we'll be using in 10 years time :-)

I bet Media Center will be the same, but we'll be on dvblink tvsource 20.5.2 - 1 tuner satisfying all requests :-)

Suspect this pc will have been replaced by then, hopefully with something that runs on 5w max power, instant on, no problems with recording... and an all time high WAF :-)

So, while windows 7 lives on this pc, I think we'll be safe for now ;-)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:05 pm

tony_park wrote: this is the 3rd setup I've tried the tuner in, and same problem on each :-(
tony_park wrote:This is a fresh install of windows 7 sp1 32 bit.
I usually get lucky with the 4th try. How about trying a fresh install of Win 7 64 bit.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:42 pm

I need to keep using 32bit due to some software requirements.

I suspect it may be that the tuner doesn't like the x16 slot, other tuners have the same issue, but thats the only one available on my board. So may just fleabay the card, see if anyone else wants it :-)

Thanks