Remote receiver stops working

deihmos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote receiver stops working

Post by deihmos » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:27 am

I have been having this issue forever on multiple computers running win 7 and now win 8. Sometimes when I boot or resume from sleep my remote receiver fails to work. I have to unplug it out then back in then it works.

Is there any way to fix this?

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:27 pm

deihmos wrote:Sometimes when I boot or resume from sleep my remote receiver fails to work. I have to unplug it out then back in then it works.
I have this too, on Vista. I have not yet found a solution. However:

(1) Apparently, some IR receiver brands are more prone to this than others. Mine is a Dell-branded receiver from circa 2006 (as shipped with their Media Center PCs in the UK).

(2) I am currently using hibernation instead of sleep; the problem is less frequent, but it does still occur occasionally.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:39 pm

You could try using devcon to refresh the item in device manager - I used to use it with a TV tuner that used to go missing after resuming from s3 sleep.

I'll find a link if you're interested in trying it.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:33 pm

holidayboy wrote:You could try using devcon to refresh the item in device manager - I used to use it with a TV tuner that used to go missing after resuming from s3 sleep.
What was the command that you used with your tuner? I am wondering whether it would work with my TBS 6284 card that disappears from "Device Manager" on wake from sleep. Thanks.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:04 pm

I had a batch script that ran on s3 sleep and also resume, it stopped the ehome services (and the WHS transfer service), then restarted the tuner card, then started the services and MC:

net.exe stop arXfrSvc
net.exe stop ehRecvr
net.exe stop ehSched
taskkill /F /IM eh*
devcon.exe restart PCI\VEN_1131
net.exe start ehRecvr
net.exe start ehSched
net.exe start arXfrSvc
cd c:\windows\ehome
ehshell.exe /directmedia:general

the PCI\VEN_xxx number was taken from device manager in the details>hardware Ids tab.

I can't remember where I downloaded devcon (x64) from, google will probably bring it up. I probably have it somewhere if you need a copy.
Rob.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:09 pm

Tony used a different devcon option - rescan which might also be worth a try:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 97906.aspx
Rob.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:03 pm

holidayboy wrote:I had a batch script that ran on s3 sleep and also resume, it stopped the ehome services (and the WHS transfer service), then restarted the tuner card, then started the services and MC: ...
Thanks. I will have to have a play with this to see what effect it has on my system.
holidayboy wrote:I can't remember where I downloaded devcon (x64) from, google will probably bring it up. I probably have it somewhere if you need a copy.
No problem, I have the 32-bit version (I run 32-bit Vista), which I think was included on the installation CD for the TBS card.