Supported TV/monitor resolutions?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
bluepenguin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Supported TV/monitor resolutions?

Post by bluepenguin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi everybody,

I stumbled across the Echo yesterday and it looks like a really cool device. I'm looking to hook it up to a monitor with a native 1920x1200 resolution (that doesn't support 1920x1080...learned that the hard way). Will the Echo work at a 1920x1200 resolution? I'm primarily looking to display pictures on the monitor, so I'm not concerned about video playback. I've read that the Xbox 360 doesn't and found out the hard way that Chromecast doesn't either.

Thanks, and have a Happy New Year!

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Are you wanting it to be a Windows Media Center extender? That's all it does (and poorly, at that). It is not a generic media player.

bluepenguin

Post by bluepenguin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:59 am

kingwr,

Thanks for replying. Sorry that I didn't realize somebody had replied. I just assumed that emails about replies were turned on by default.

I came back here to give an update in case anybody else tries to use an Echo with a computer monitor.

I was trying to use it as a Windows Media Center Extender, but only for the slideshow ability. My parents got totally spoiled by the ability to view details and touch up pictures using Windows Media Center, which basically eliminates most other options.

Unfortunately, the Echo didn't work. I tried it, but it didn't play well with computer monitors for some reason. On the monitor I was trying to use, it didn't show anything at all. On a newer monitor with native HDMI support, which a Chromecast was able to work with at 1080p without a problem, the Echo displayed the CETON start-up logo so huge that half of it went off the screen. I'm assuming that there's something about the way monitors and the Echo communicate to set the resolution that messes things up. So, the Echo is out for my purposes. I ended up replacing it with an Xbox 360, which was cheaper than buying a new TV to work with the Echo. It was great when I was testing it out with a TV, and I would have kept it if it wasn't for the problem with monitors.

Cheers,
Blue Penguin