All tuners in use - but only when 1 channel is recording

andydunn

HTPC Specs: Show details

All tuners in use - but only when 1 channel is recording

Post by andydunn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 am

Occasionally I'll try to watch live TV and get the 'all tuners in use' message. Or something will start to record and report that it can't as all tuners are in use.

When I look at the guide I can see that only 1 channel is being recorded (often BBC America, Comcast, Seattle area but occasionally others) - I have scrolled through the entire guide there is only 1 tuner in use.

If I look at the diagnostics in media center only 1 tuner is being recorded - the others are just idle on whatever channel they were last on.

I've looked through my series request to make sure there's no duplicates.

If I try to switch to a different channel it will work. So it seems that BBC America/HGTV/discovery are all mutually exclusive at this point. I can happily switch to NBC without the error.

If I stop the recording on BBC America it will let me switch to Discovery... then I can immediately record BBC America and it works. So the mutually exclusive only seems to happen one way.

Any ideas - it only seems to happen once a month but its usually when I'm not home and my better half wants to watch Say Yes to the dress and then boy am I in trouble.

Thanks

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Check the available sources for Discovery. Tasks > Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels. Find Discovery in the list and click on it. Then click Edit Sources. This will show you the list of tuners that are able to tune Discovery. It sounds like maybe only one source can tune Discovery and that source is recording BBCA.

andydunn

Post by andydunn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Bingo...

BBC America had 2 out of the 4 tuners selected
HGTV had one of the 4 selected
(Discovery has all 4 but I suspect that I had the wrong issue since the stories I hear are usually 2nd hand)

I've added them back for the couple I saw but is there an easy way to get all of them put back? Is this something that happens over time?

Thanks