ts files with mediabrowser and transcode 360 on xbox 360 ext

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
lurch66

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by lurch66 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 am

non dts mkv play fine without using transcode 360. I have it added as a supported file format in media browser. as far as network speed I have my main router in my media closet running to a switch in the kids play room feeding both the nettop htpc and xbox 360. all movies play great on the nettop and only video ts has problems on the xbox 360 so it seems to only be a transcode problem. I will dive into this this weekend and try the different win 7 64 guides and let you know the results. Thanks again for all the help. I have been keeping up with the media browser forums as well.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:52 am

ok so i have decided to leave well enough alone. When I installed mikinhos transcoder my native movie library will cause media center to crash whenever I go into it. I should know better than to mess with a well working media center. o well I like using 2 htpc's because it gives me so many options as far as netfilix/hulu/boxee/pandora and the like. Thanks again for all the help.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:03 am

I don't use the native Movie Library in 7MC and hide its menu strip, so I haven't personally tried Mikinhos transcoder for it.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:09 pm

Sorry for the frustrated post last night I was up untill 2 in the morning trying different things. I dont normally use the native movie library but Mikinhos transcoder recommended it. I will try out some more things on my test pc rather than the main media center so if somthing goes wrong I wont need to get it working right away so as not to damage the WAF. Thank's again for all the help and I will let you know in a week or so what works and what does not.

AndyRowan1

Post by AndyRowan1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:24 pm

Thought I should register & throw in my 2cents worth.

I have a Windows 7 MCE (X64) htpc, with 8TB of storage in the living room connected to the AV gear there.
(BTW I would not :shock: proceed that way again. It needs a big case with a bunch a slow moving large fans to cool that lot quietly)
It currently has about 300 dvds and some bluray stored as .iso files, accessed in that room with Media Browser.

About a year ago, guided by CW-Kid's doc for Vista, I had the htpc streaming to an Xbox.
A couple of weeks ago, because I plan to change to way I use cable, I dug out an old noisy XBox 360 to retest streaming.
If that worked out, the idea was to buy a couple of quiet S-series XBox 360 (4MB) for the bedrooms.

Stubbornly, I invested a ridiculous amount of time trying to get streaming working.
I referenced docs by cw-kid, a specific doc for MB by Adam Plante and whatever else I could find.
But it did not work, maybe because I changed W7 on the htpc from 32 to 64 bit, or maybe Microsoft code changes killed it.
At this point, I probably would not adopt a streaming solution utilizing Xbox 360, if it were handed to me on a platter.
One could not be sure that it would still work next year.

I also have a Seagate FreeAgent Theatre+ media player.
With a onetime cost a little more than a year's subscription to XBox Live Gold, it can access Netflix.
It makes a DLNA connection to the WMC box & plays the .ISOs.
It wont use the metadata from Media Browser and you need to wade through a menu showing a slew of irrelevant files.
But the price is good and it was a nobrainer to get it running.

The only reason that I was interested to the Xbox, was to stream DRM protected content from the cable company.
But like lurch66, I am not thrilled with the idea of two boxes to drive a screen in each of 2 bedrooms.

Right now, I am waiting on delivery of a HDHomerun prime box, which handles cable decoding.
When that arrives, I will test the interaction of multiple htpc's, using the main htpc & the desktop in my study.
If that flies, then I will build a couple of low end htpc's for the bedrooms.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:52 am

Have I read that right Andy? You had Media Browser with Transcode 360 working OK with the XBOX extenders on Windows 7 32 bit, but when you upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit it stopped working?

Or did you only have it working on Windows Vista ?

Cheers
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:53 am

cw-kid wrote:Have I read that right Andy? You had Media Browser with Transcode 360 working OK with the XBOX extenders on Windows 7 32 bit, but when you upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit it stopped working?

Or did you only have it working on Windows Vista ?

Cheers
I think I read the same thing as you cw- kid. I have alwase had win 7 64 and I am now using the xbox as a cable box and using the nettop as a htpc. It is nice to see activity on the fourm again. I never did get around to trying to get transcode 360 working again.

JAJ

Post by JAJ » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:54 pm

My htpc is win 7 64 bit.... And I have been using transcode 360 successfully for over a year now ...streaming to 3 360's .... based on the same guide with the latest updates as of last year. Now the transcode function has some minor issues.. Like transcoding the wrong audio track on certain DVD rips... But other than that it works pretty good.

AndyRowan1

Post by AndyRowan1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:28 am

Lurch66,
I stumbled across this again & see that I did not reply to your question.
Yes at one time I was able to use ISO files on a W7 (x32) box and play them on an XBOX 360 using Media Browser and Transcode 360.
After reinstalling the htpc with W7 (x64) , not for the lack of trying, I could not pull it off again.

My long wait for the HDhomerun is over.
Three tuning circuits for cable are pooled on the LAN for use by any W7 box running WMC.
The main htpc in the living room, with a slew of DVDs & Blurays stored as ISO files, works as well as ever.
A second htpc in a bedroom runs Media Browser just fine by sharing the directories on the main htpc.
After comparing the second htpc and an Xbox, I decided on another htpc as the solution for the third room.

I can build the small htpc's for about $250.
What I get is :-
Easy sharing of any files that WMC, MB or TMT can play, without transcoding.
That includes Bluray.
Pooled cable tuner access.
Netflix without annual fees for Xbox Live.
What I lose (c.f. Xbox) is the ability to play DRM protected cable content recorded on a different box.

My interest in Xbox was purely as a media extender, and not for other features like games.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:22 am

I have been running a net-top in the wreck room along with a xbox 360. I use the x box 360 for sharing recorded/live tv. essentially a cable box without the monthly subscription. Best 40 bucks i ever spent. gotta love e bay. I am running the net-top on a different input with an zinc rf remote ' so not to get the ir remote controling both boxes at the same time, that was fun' running media center which takes advantage of Media browser, Hulu, Zinc, BDMV playback, NO TRANSCODING, among many other perks. I also have a NAS setup to share across both pc for all my media other than recorded tv. I have grown to really like this setup and the much lower headache to waf it has.