Ceton and Win 8.1

BirdofPrey

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton and Win 8.1

Post by BirdofPrey » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:21 am

I was thinking of getting a Ceton tuner card for my PC and then an Echo for the living room TV. I was thinking of getting the Infinitv 6 but even 4 would probably be enough, but I noticed on the Echo page a note that it does not work with Windows 8. I have Win 8 with windows Media Center, so I was wondering if that was just base Windows 8 or all versions including the WMC version that Echo does not work with.

If Echo does not work with any version of Win 8 I was wondering what alternatives are out there that would work that lets the TV view cable channels from the Ceton and use one of the home PCs (theres a desktop and a laptop) as a DVR or if maybe the network attached version of the infinitv6 would work for my setup.

I am happy to provide any additional details if needed.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:58 am

Xbox works fine with 8/8.1, so you need to get one of those instead. Used ones run about $100, same a an Echo on sale. You may even be able to pick up a new one close to that this time of year.

Technically Echo also works, but you get no user interface besides the Ceton app on an iPhone or Android. I ran like that for a few months. It worked fine, but it was a bit of a pain using my phone all the time to control it.

PTK

Post by PTK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm

I am using Windows 8.1 with my Ceton XfiniTV card (4 channels) + cable card and it works perfectly. I used the Ceton Win8 beta driver installer. I must say that the Ceton diagnostic software if very helpful. I admit that I needed to use it, because the install was a little tricky. When I upgraded from Win8 to Win8.1, I recall that I needed to re-install the drivers, and I had to re-learn the procedure. A few minutes of searching, and I found the documented process once again. The card was about $100, and the cable card was free from my cable provider.