ITV6: Unable to find tuner

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JohnJ9

HTPC Specs: Show details

ITV6: Unable to find tuner

Post by JohnJ9 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:37 am

As much as I found hooking up my InfiniTV6 pretty straightforward for the Win7 PC I have in the house, on the Win8 PC I picked up to use mainly for working with the ITV6 it's been a disappointing tale of woe. After a lot of hassles getting things to recognize and work (and many re-installs of the Ceton drivers), I can get things to tune after a reboot, watch a few minutes of a show, at which point I get a message "Viewing or Listening Conflict / No tuner available to satisfy the current request." It just gives up and goes to this status, at which point the only thing that will shake it is a reboot. I've now tried beta drivers for both the PC and the ETH without improving anything. Given I can watch for a couple minutes before it fails, this just has the feel of a driver issue. When it gets in this mode, I can still go to the other PC and access the ETH with no problems. Obviously, nothing scheduled has recorded. Additionally, checking the status of the box shows five available tuners, as well as one that thinks it's still streaming back to this PC - still in the Playing state. The Win8 PC is running Win8 Pro, not 8.1. I'm not sure if upgrading to 8.1 is desired, suggested, or just confounds things that much more.

I'm not sure where to turn next.

Edit: I posted this in the wrong section. I really thought I was in the Ceton section when I posted it. Sorry for being a bit lost on my first day.

[Moderator note: topic moved]

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Try installing this hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2746119
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

JohnJ9

Post by JohnJ9 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:59 pm

I tried that a couple of hours at the request of support, and that didn't do the trick. I sent them what I figure is a rather chatty debug log a couple hours ago as well, and I suspect they're still munching on it.

I must say, this is about as clean an environment as I believe I've ever created for something running at home, and it's rather disappointing that it's been this difficult to make work. I didn't even buy the ITV until I knew I had an environment exactly as required. I didn't buy the new machine until I had the Win7 PC working properly and entirely to my liking, and worked my way through all of WMC's little quirks. I made sure I got enough machine to handle the requirements. I have been in software development for 35 years, and I know that the "hard" in hardware sometimes describes the problems, not just the fact the product was built in a factory. I know that there are a lot of possible configurations that can come up. However, I bought the PC from a reputable company, not from off-the-shelf components picked up at Fry's. Being new, there was no way to get it with Win7, much as I would have liked to have done so (and not had to pay an extra $100 for Pro), but Win8 has been out for a year, so that's plenty of time to learn how it works. This machine must look just like one of any number of machines in your lab: it has Win8 on it, Pro on it, and Ceton on it, and nothing else. It surprises me this is that hard to suss out, and that it didn't just work out of the box.

I look forward to hearing next from support, but I'm not sure whether to think this thing will be able to show a Christmas show or reruns of Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve. Some of this stuff is too darned hard!

JohnJ9

Post by JohnJ9 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm going to post this here so that there is a breadcrumb (or is that a rabbit pellet?) for the next person that comes across this:

I did install the Hotfix mentioned above, and it did not help me with the problem. What tech support did find was that Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) was turned on and interfering with WMC somehow and getting in the way of it and the ETH6 talking to each other. Disabling ICS has let me watch live TV for 31 minutes thus far, which is 29 minutes longer than I'd ever gotten it to work before.

The box is a virgin Win8 Pro machine, so this got turned on either by itself or as part of some little setup question that "did me a favor" I didn't want. It's worth noting folks should look for this in the future.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:01 pm

If you are using recorded tv sharing, I would recommend you DO NOT UPGRADE to 8.1 pro. One of the "new features" lets the 8.1 machine see the recorded tv programs on the Win7 machines but the Win7 machines can no longer see the recorded tv on the Win8.1 machine. Just another new feature from MS and like RT being able to see homegroups but homegroups not able to see WinRT.

JohnJ9

Post by JohnJ9 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:43 pm

I don't currently use that, but I will heed your advice and see if I find myself doing so once everything else seems to work.

As for MS and their decisions, they baffle me. I know they want to "encourage" people to upgrade, but I already find Win8 to be a wrestling match, and were it not for the fact this is a PC I hope to all but NEVER interact with, I think I'd be seriously looking into finding a copy of Win7 Ultimate and slamming it on there. I've been bit by the sharing snafu a dozen times or more in the past couple of days. My favorite at present is a directory I finally wrestled into visibility on the Win8 box, but the files I put in it aren't visible. I know it's permissions, but it's one heck of a time figuring out how to get them set properly, and decipher why they're being set as they are in the first place. And you can find about eight different ways to get to the sharing options, some look the same, some don't, and some make you feel like you just encountered your tail after running around the tree. Good thinking, lads!