Media Center all of a sudden stops recording all series

choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center all of a sudden stops recording all series

Post by choliscott » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:34 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm having the issue of series I have scheduled not wanting to record. When I look at the event viewer, there is nothing around the time to say there was a problem, nor does it say it started to record the shows that were scheduled at the time of the "start of the problem".

Also if I was to look at the Scheduled recordings - date order, I will still see what was scheduled to record (from a few hours ago) & shows after that. Shows that were supposed to recording at the current time, do show "Now" next to those.

Has anybody seen this before & if so, do you happen to know what the fix was? I'm currently in the process of resetting everything back up (including fresh W7 install).

Thanks

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Have you looked at the History in Media Center? What does it say?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:19 am

Ok first of all, when I reinstalled W7, I tried adding a HD HR prime to my existing 2 Ceton Infinitv4 tuner (total of 11), along with trying a different SSD drive (slightly faster compared to the original drive, based on using AS SSD benchmark)

I thought I had everything up & running, but about 15 hours later, WMC showed it was still recording a show that ended 90 minutes previously. When I try skimming thru a couple of the shows that was "currently recording", it showed they both started & stopped at the correct time.

The Windows log file (for WMC events) showed it started to record those shows. In the Record History, it didn't list the shows, but it did show them under the scheduled.

Next I rebooted the machine, which the Windows log file showed it stopped recording the shows due to a power failure, while the scheduled showed them on the top of the list, but it showed red dots next to the shows that were supposed to be recording (nothing was being recorded at the time)

I think I might have caused this, as I tried running AS SSD on the drive I currently have Windows installed on & it looks like WMC "stopped responding" right around the time I ran it. Not sure how a bench marking program can cause issues for WMC, but I can see that it might.

To add more info on why I tried a different SSD, I wanted to see if I would see faster response, which I can say I have in some areas.

One question for you, Can I ask which make & model of SSD you are using?

barnabas1969 wrote:Have you looked at the History in Media Center? What does it say?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:38 pm

choliscott wrote:One question for you, Can I ask which make & model of SSD you are using?
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2

tipstir

Post by tipstir » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Sounds like issue with SSD either they're degrading or going duff or issue with them and WMC? Why not try using USB HDD instead of the recorder and then test it out. This what I do here on 8 HD Network Tuners here.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:45 pm

tipstir wrote:Sounds like issue with SSD either they're degrading or going duff or issue with them and WMC? Why not try using USB HDD instead of the recorder and then test it out. This what I do here on 8 HD Network Tuners here.
It doesn't sound like anything of the sort. I'm leaning toward the possibility of a corrupted scheduled task.

choliscott, try running the Task Scheduler. Does it give you any errors when you open it, or when you open the Media Center task for scheduled recordings?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 am

I'm using a Corsair Force GT 120GB

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:00 am

Task scheduler seems to be working fine. I can get into it with no problems. Looking at the "Media Center" tasks, I can see everything says ready, except for "RecordingRestart" (Disabled) & PeriodicScanRetry (Disabled).

Seems like I only have issues with WMC when I try it with more then 8 tuners & always has to do with recording (either live or, scheduling a recording/series). I wonder if there is a way to turn on "debug logging" that might say what MC is doing when a show is being scheduled, but with my luck there is no such thing.

Reason why I asked what model SSD you were using, was to determine if my record issues might have to do with the speed of the two SSD drives I have tried MC with. When I ran AS SSD, I got the following result:

(First Drive)
Seq - 212.19 MB/s R 105.59 MB/s W
4K 18.96 MB/s R 110.40 MB/s W
4K-64Thrd 137.02 MB/s R 129.67 MB/s W
Acc Time 0.092 ms R 0.230 ms W
Score 177 R 251 W
Overall 521

(Current Drive)
Seq 447.05 MB/s R 145.52 MB/s W
4K 22.85 MB/s R 103.76 MB/s W
4K-64Thrd 120.92 MB/s R 134.40 MB/s W
Acc Time 0.086 ms R 0.210 ms W
Score 188 R 253 W
Overall 532

Based on benchmarks I have seen before, the first drive looks like it's slow & the 2nd one is fairly close, with the exception of the Sequential Read on the 2nd one.

Now I had better luck setting up the recording series on the 2nd drive compared to the first, but when I reboot it takes 5 hours for it to start recording again. So I'm not so sure if that would be the case or not.
barnabas1969 wrote:
tipstir wrote:Sounds like issue with SSD either they're degrading or going duff or issue with them and WMC? Why not try using USB HDD instead of the recorder and then test it out. This what I do here on 8 HD Network Tuners here.
It doesn't sound like anything of the sort. I'm leaning toward the possibility of a corrupted scheduled task.

choliscott, try running the Task Scheduler. Does it give you any errors when you open it, or when you open the Media Center task for scheduled recordings?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:23 am

Any SSD is going to be faster than an HDD... and you shouldn't have the problems you're having, even if you were using an HDD for the OS.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:51 am

I was thinking the same thing. Oh well, back to using 8 tuners & figuring another use of the prime. I'll probably configuring it to another computer & use is as a "just in case"
barnabas1969 wrote:Any SSD is going to be faster than an HDD... and you shouldn't have the problems you're having, even if you were using an HDD for the OS.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:59 am

choliscott wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm having the issue of series I have scheduled not wanting to record. When I look at the event viewer, there is nothing around the time to say there was a problem, nor does it say it started to record the shows that were scheduled at the time of the "start of the problem".

Also if I was to look at the Scheduled recordings - date order, I will still see what was scheduled to record (from a few hours ago) & shows after that. Shows that were supposed to recording at the current time, do show "Now" next to those.

Has anybody seen this before & if so, do you happen to know what the fix was? I'm currently in the process of resetting everything back up (including fresh W7 install).

Thanks
Hi,

I had this last time I rebuilt my media pc - I had been importing scheduled recording successfully up until this rebuild, but for some reason this time, the import didn't work correctly. I basically had to reset back to factory settings in MC, setup my tuners and then set up the scheduled recordings again - all 100+ of them :-( Ever since, it's been running fine.

HTH

tipstir

Post by tipstir » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:19 am

I use USB HDD to record about 8 hrs / 7 days no issues the only thing happens is fragments need to be defrag now and then ultra-degrag. SSD issue how is the PSU (power supply unit) is it outputting correctly the volts. Are those SSD getting enough juice as most would say. Any overheating in the system. If the SDD are reporting the right numbers. Then look at other hardware in the system.

tipstir

Post by tipstir » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:21 am

choliscott wrote:I was thinking the same thing. Oh well, back to using 8 tuners & figuring another use of the prime. I'll probably configuring it to another computer & use is as a "just in case"
barnabas1969 wrote:Any SSD is going to be faster than an HDD... and you shouldn't have the problems you're having, even if you were using an HDD for the OS.
Yes why not do that use another system to help out with recording I do that here. Building new 7 Ulimate 32-bit Net-books as extenders along with harmony remotes to control them.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:35 am

Hi tipstir... most of your posts are absolute BS. These are no exception to the rule.

tipstir

Post by tipstir » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:37 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Hi tipstir... most of your posts are absolute BS. These are no exception to the rule.
Not so! Why be so negative? We all can learn from each other here be more positive. SSD are know to have issues. Like with all drives. These systems are on 24/7 recording and pushing the system to the max recording and WMC has its share of glitches. I can shed some light on the subject. As for netbooks can be use as extenders if you know how. I'll post some pictures when they're setup. I need two more USB IR Receivers for two Harmony 600 series remotes.

machausta

Post by machausta » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Tipstir, SSDs do not function in the way you are describing. I'm with Barnabus in his suspicion that the scheduled task(s) are somehow corrupt. The biggest gripe I have with SSDs are in relation to re-writing data. They really work best with a static data set and as few 'writes' as possible. I run actual hard drives, but I would put the OS on a SSD and essentially turn off any caching on that drive to avoid unnecessary wear.

Also you cannot use a PC as an 'extender', but you could use them for anything copy freely with remote potato. These are totally different things.