Signal strength: 4 bars vs 5 bars

micallen

HTPC Specs: Show details

Signal strength: 4 bars vs 5 bars

Post by micallen » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:39 am

Is it just my setup, or do you pretty much HAVE to have 5 bars to get constantly good picture. I am using a good antenna in the attic. All channels but 1 give me 5 bars of signal strength. As luck would have it the 1 channel that gives me 4 bars is CBS... which is 80% of what we watch. But even with 4 bars of signal strength, I keep missing programs.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:29 am

There's more to it than just the signal strength. What kind of tuner are you using? Have you gone to www.tvfool.com to get help on the placement, type and aim of your antenna? You could be having problems with reflections from nearby buildings/trees/hills or all kinds of other stuff. TV Fool is a good resource.

tipstir

Post by tipstir » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Those ANTs have to be pointed the right direction. I agree. I live in two markets so I have dual HDTV ANT. One pointed NW the the other is point SE. Use amp on ANT and drop line amp on 8-way dual RG6 coax cable with digital ends for dual RG6 coax cable. Using the right ANT Amp (also called pre-amp but those don't hold up to well in bad weather) So now I gone from 61 channels to 71 channels. Make sure you ground (get grounding copper (green) wire thick gauge) everything outside too.