Xbox 360 suddenly has problems streaming PC Media Center

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
martyh1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 suddenly has problems streaming PC Media Center

Post by martyh1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:47 pm

I have been using Xbox 360 to stream Media Center recorded TV for at least a couple of years. Lately it has problems streaming to the point that I can't use it anymore. Sometimes it will start streaming OK and then go black screen. After that most everything I try is black screen although you can hear audio. The same thing happens just trying to stream over the air TV (My TV has an over the air antenna.)

My PC is running windows 7 Enterprise has been working fine for a couple of years at least this way. There is a long Ethernet cable between the Xbox 360 and PC . I have had to resort to using a laptop next to my TV to play the media content from my PC in the other room, bypassing Xbox 360. Does anyone know if something has changed recently, possibly with Xbox 360 software updates that might have caused this?

martyh1

Post by martyh1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Also my Linksys extender is still working fine and runs over wireless. The Ethernet cable that I use has already been verified to work fine with my laptop. I am really starting to suspect the Xbox 360.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Don't believe its software related, my Xbox works fine. Maybe try another hdmi cord?

martyh1

Post by martyh1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:12 pm

The Xbox works fine for games so I don't think its the HDMI cord.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Have you tried deleting and re-adding the XBox from WMC?

Also, try adding the XBOX as an extender to the laptop and see if the issue occurs.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

martyh1

Post by martyh1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:35 am

I tried removing the Xbox from media center on the PC and added it back. No change.

I have been running the network monitor in windows media center and the graph shows it bounces below HDTV quality a bit when nothing much is going on. And when I start playing a HD TV show on the Xbox, it bounces back and forth but crossing the "acceptable for TV" boundary quite a bit. I don't know what if anything has changed but it does look the Xbox isn't able to get network data quick enough. It starts pixelating and then just freezes. Ugghh. I have a Ethernet connection just to avoid this sort of thing over wireless. MY laptop has no problems playing HD files stored on the win7 enterprise system but of course it is using vlc aside from having other differences from the Xbox. I'll check network settings on the Xbox I guess.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:57 pm

What kind of switch or router are you using?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct