Movie Rentals (VOD)

tserafin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Movie Rentals (VOD)

Post by tserafin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:50 am

Hi,

Is there a way I could use one of the online movie rental/ video on demand (besides Netflix or Hulu) within the WMC. I recently got HDHomeRun Prime, and I'd like to be able to once in a while Rent movies since my Comcast On-Demand no longer works. But it seems that no such features exists. I'd prefer Amazon but I'd be ok with others such as Vudu, CinemaNow, Crackle, etc. Any suggestions?

I know I can easily do that by using the web browser but its really for other people using this system, such as my wife or parents when they are around (not so tech savvy). Any suggestions? From what I read online CinemaNow was once an option but its no longer supported.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:20 pm

tserafin wrote: I'd prefer Amazon but I'd be ok with others such as Vudu, CinemaNow, Crackle, etc. Any suggestions?
There is a developer working on an Amazon plugin for WMC.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=3397
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 pm

From what I have heard, you may be able to call into your cable company and purchase a video on demand show. Then tune to the channel and it should work with your prime. I have TWC and have not done this yet. From what I have read, you must do this on the phone and not online. Search around a little and you might find it. Not sure if it works with Comcast or not. Essentially, they are adding that movie channel to your subscribed channels for the day, so then the cable card tuner will work just like any other subscribed channel. For now, I use Relauncher to launch the amazon website and you can watch amazon instant videos. Then hit the green button and you come back to wmc. You need a keyboard though.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:57 am

soccerdad wrote:From what I have heard, you may be able to call into your cable company and purchase a video on demand show. Then tune to the channel and it should work with your prime. I have TWC and have not done this yet. From what I have read, you must do this on the phone and not online.
Soccerdad is talking about Pay-Per-View (PPV). Yes, you can call your cable company to order PPV shows. Some cable companies also allow you to order PPV online.

"Video On Demand" (VOD) is different from PPV. You cannot use VOD services with a CableCARD tuner.

However, with all the other options... I don't miss VOD (or the outrageous prices) from my cable company.