HDMI 4X4 Matrix Switcher

Talk about setting up your home network.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI 4X4 Matrix Switcher

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:51 am

Any body know... What is the name of the specification that tells you how quickly a switcher can switch? A couple people have commented that the less expensive switchers hesitate a bit prior to actually switching to what you have asked them to do.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:40 am

What do you call a blind dear?

No eye dear.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 am

Are you drinkin tonight? Can you say........... "How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood"

See if you can say it 5 times in a row.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:58 am

Crash2009 wrote:Are you drinkin tonight? Can you say........... "How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood"

See if you can say it 5 times in a row.

Faster!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Crash2009 wrote:How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
Correction, it's: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Answer: A woodchuck would chuck all the wood that a woodchuck could if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

My sister and I would compete with each other when we were kids to see who could say it fastest. I can still beat almost anyone. It's one of those things that are impossible to get out of your head.

Oh, and I notice that I spelled "deer" incorrectly in post #2.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks for the correction. I have been saying that wrong for 50 years.

I just threw a projector into the mix and I want to share it with all sources. Are there any Amps that do that? or ????

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:40 pm

OK, so how are things connected now? Are all your sources connected directly to the TV? I see in your specs that you just have a sound bar, not an AVR... so I assume that the sound bar doesn't do any HDMI switching, correct?

The last time I looked 4x4 matrix switches were very expensive. A matrix switch allows any display device to select any source... and some allow two displays to be simultaneously displaying different sources.

Do you plan to use the TV and the projector at the same time to display different sources?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Well, it appears that matrix switches have come wayyyy down in price. Monoprice has a 4x2 switch for as cheap as $38.87 (PID 6416). The other 4x2 switches range in price from $56.25 to $74.50 (PID's 5312, 7112, and 6415).

If you want a 4x4 switch, the price jumps to $156.60 (PID 5704).

So, I suppose it's not a terrible price for such a thing. But, you might still save money by using a switch that has a built-in HDMI splitter, or even by connecting a 4x1 switch to an HDMI splitter. Either way, both display devices would always display the same source.

Not sure why you're concerned about how fast they switch. What's the difference between a switch that takes 1 second versus one that takes 2 seconds? I don't think any of them will be even as slow as 1 second. What takes the most time is for your display device to sync with the input signal.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:12 pm

What you really need to do is consider the features you really need. For example, do you need to display 3D? Do you want to use ARC? Do you need to pass Ethernet over HDMI?

Since you're using a sound bar, I'm going to guess that ARC is not needed. And, I've personally never seen a device that uses Ethernet over HDMI. It sounds nice, but running an Ethernet cable in addition to the HDMI cable is not a big deal.

One feature that I really like in an HDMI switch is IR learning. I have a couple of 3x1 switches that do that. It's really handy. You can teach the switch to change inputs based on whatever IR command you want. So, for example, you can teach the switch to change to input 1 when you press the power button to turn on the DVD player.

In my bedroom, I have an old AVR that doesn't do HDMI switching. So, I programmed the HDMI switch so that when I select the "DVD" input on my AVR, the HDMI switch will change to the input for my BluRay player. The effect of this is that when my remote sends the command to instruct the AVR to switch to the optical audio input for DVD, the HDMI switch also changes to the correct input.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:18 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:OK, so how are things connected now? Are all your sources connected directly to the TV? I see in your specs that you just have a sound bar, not an AVR... so I assume that the sound bar doesn't do any HDMI switching, correct?

The last time I looked 4x4 matrix switches were very expensive. A matrix switch allows any display device to select any source... and some allow two displays to be simultaneously displaying different sources.

Do you plan to use the TV and the projector at the same time to display different sources?
Looks like you have 5 questions,

(1) Right now I have the HTPC connected to a 32" Insignia Tv using hdmi for video and sound. No remote on this one. I am using the Ceton app on my Iphone as a remote.
Secondly, Echo1 hdmi is going to the Sony soundbar, then out to the projector. I use the Ceton supplied remote and the Ceton app on the Iphone.
Presenty, I am not using Echo2 or the 32" Samsung, however they are in this room, and bolted to the wall.

(2) All sources have their own display.

(3) Soundbar does not do any hdmi switching.

(4) These 1080 4X4 switchers have come down in price now that 4G is coming or here all ready for some. Here are a couple that I found in the bargain basement. I have pretty much eliminated this first one because the guy said there is no model number on it (never heard that one before). http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Switch-4-X ... 0864926%26 This second one doesn't look too bad. http://www.amazon.com/4x4-CROSSPOINT-RO ... uctDetails Have looked at a few others 3-4-5 hundred. I realize that I can get a 1X2 switcher for 50 bucks. I wanted to get the wow factor going in this room I am working on. I prefer video, hanging on the wall, verses paintings.

(5) Yes, I plan to have both Tv's and maybe a 3rd, and the projector on at the same time.

I like the idea of throwing whatever I am working on at any or all displays.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Crash, how are you running your HDMI (or expecting to run)? Are you going to use the double Ethernet run HDMI adapter type solution or just straight HDMI cables?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Not sure why you're concerned about how fast they switch. What's the difference between a switch that takes 1 second versus one that takes 2 seconds? I don't think any of them will be even as slow as 1 second. What takes the most time is for your display device to sync with the input signal.
I thought there was a switch specification that I should consider when deciding. I have heard that some switches (the less expensive ones) hesitate during the switching. Apparently the expensive ones do not hesitate.

I thought there might be a spec that could be compared between a 150 and a 1500 dollar switch. I was just looking for the sweet spot. Trying to get a lot for a little.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:50 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:Crash, how are you running your HDMI (or expecting to run)? Are you going to use the double Ethernet run HDMI adapter type solution or just straight HDMI cables?
The room I am working on is only 15' X 20' so straight HDMI is feasable. Four 30' HDMI's will take anything anywhere. I do like the idea of the Cat5e/Cat6 option in the switch, for if/when I spread this system out.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:Not sure why you're concerned about how fast they switch. What's the difference between a switch that takes 1 second versus one that takes 2 seconds? I don't think any of them will be even as slow as 1 second. What takes the most time is for your display device to sync with the input signal.
I thought there was a switch specification that I should consider when deciding. I have heard that some switches (the less expensive ones) hesitate during the switching. Apparently the expensive ones do not hesitate.

I thought there might be a spec that could be compared between a 150 and a 1500 dollar switch. I was just looking for the sweet spot. Trying to get a lot for a little.
I don't know about a spec, but from my experience, the thing that takes the most time is for the TV to sync when the switch changes to a different source. If the switch has built-in circuitry to force the output to the display to always stay sync'd at the same resolution and refresh rate, then the display device wouldn't need to re-sync. That would save time.

But, honestly, how fast do you need it to switch? The switching time, including time for the display device to sync, is about a second. Maybe cheap TV's sync slower?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:33 am

barnabas1969 wrote:But, honestly, how fast do you need it to switch? The switching time, including time for the display device to sync, is about a second. Maybe cheap TV's sync slower?
I'm gonna take this one for a spin. http://www.a-neuvideo.com/shop/product_ ... ucts_id=45 One bench test coming up. Thanks for your help.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:26 pm

The switcher just got here. It was boxed nicely, not crushed by the shipper (Fedex), just the right amount of peanuts, and a free bag of M&M's. Looks like these guys are gonna get some Feedback. Frozen solid though, gonna take some time to climatize.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Gotta luv unboxing toys :)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:24 am

holidayboy wrote:Gotta luv unboxing toys :)
Yup. First time I ever got a bag of candy in a shipping box. (M&M's).

Source 1 is the HTPC
Source 2 is one of my Echo's

Destination 1 is an Optoma131Xe 3D projector
Destination 2 is an Insignia 32" TV
Destination 3 is a Samsung 32" TV

The basic switcher stuff is pretty simple to run. All>Source1>enter. All>Source2>enter. Destination1>Source1. Destination2>Source2.

Echo fired right up and displayed HBO, Cinemax, and Starz on all 3 displays. Comcast's only 3D channel XF3D is working correctly. :clap:

HTPC refused to change resolutions without a re-boot, wanted to stay at 1920 X 1080, after the boot-agreed to lower it's standards and run at 1280 X 720. Jacked it back up to 1920 after I got in to Win7 (we'll see how long that lasts :roll: ).

Oh, Oh, household emergency,,,,just ran out of Mountain Dew.
Attachments
PICT1457.JPG
PICT1456.JPG

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Crash,

How do you like your projector? I have the hd20, have you compared yours with that one? I love the HD20 but see the newer one you have is 3D. Any complaints? Also what are you running a small sports bar down there now? :)

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Did this one ever cross your list to check?

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Matrix- ... sbs_auto_2

Looks pretty nice. Has Ethernet or HDMI options? And seems priced right? You got my attention now. I like your setup :)