Anti-virus Recommendations?

glugglug

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anti-virus Recommendations?

Post by glugglug » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Not really about a WMC Add-in, but I don't see what other subforum this fits in?

What antivirus do people use here with WMC? Currently I am using MSSE, which is nice because of the low performance impact and that it doesn't block any media center/extender traffic by default.

But I've read a couple reddit threads today about the CryptoLocker ransomware, which seems to be exploding, and is pretty scary. I think it is likely the start of a new malware trend. Don't think the wife would react well if I really lock down the access restrictions on most directories of the PC. It seems the only AV known to protect against it early enough so far are Avast (even the free version) and MBAM Pro. (Other AV can "clean" it, but by that point it is too late, your files will be encrypted with no way to decrypt them besides paying the $300 ransom, and the AV might clean what the malware needs to call home and make the payment even work). I won't be doing with MBAM as even the free non-active scanner for it has given me a lot of false positives in the past. Anyone use Avast with Media Center Extenders? Does it interfere at all by default or do you have to tell it to unblock some ports? Can I use Avast for AV while still using Windows Firewall?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:16 pm

I don't use Avast on my Media Center PC, but I use it on my other PC's. It only does virus scanning, no firewall (at least for the free version, not sure about paid version). I would think that you could just exclude file types like WTV and whatever else you use (MKV, MP4, etc).

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Nothing on HTPC - no AV / no AM. I really don't need it in my HTPC environment.
Vipre Business AV / Malwarebytes Pro on all our clients.

All our clients and HTPC (OS only) are backed up automatically through Storage Server 2008R2
Worst case something drastic happens including HDD failure, we can full image restore.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:49 pm

MSE on everything, including the HTPC. A/V is starting to pick it up but often a bit late. A software restriction policy is the only really effective deterrent I've seen. Fortunately, it's really not obtrusive, though I haven't looked into using it on a Home edition of Windows.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Just a quick one thumbing up Malware Bytes Pro.-

For 25 bucks lifetime per client, it sits in your taskbar and will pretty much stop you communicating with any bad website out there including downloading of dodgy attachments via email (ransomware botnet). It's proven itself for many people I have recommended it to.

Saying that, nothing is 100% secure.
Always backup anything you value. Store it somewhere else.
Have a backup of the backups etc etc.
Always have plan B / plan C.

2c.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:12 am

I haven't used any kind of anti-malware product on any of my systems in about 10-15 years. Abstinence is the best protection!