Echo Audio Issue

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
eric859

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo Audio Issue

Post by eric859 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm so glad I found this forum! I bought my echo the day they started selling them to the public. Ever since I've had an unusual issue with the sound. Often when I start playing something, the sound is distored and voices sound robotic. It could happen when I initially start the program, turn to a new live tv station, or when hitting play after ff/rewinding. It happens with live tv, recordings and movie files. The way I've been able to fix the issue is by hitting pause and play over and over again until the sound distortion is fixed. If I change the station or ff/rewind, I often get the problem all over again. It's driving me insane!!! Ceton support has been unsuccessful in resolving the issue. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Eric

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:49 pm

Have you tried basic troubleshooting steps like using a different HDMI cable or using a different display? Is the HDMI cable going directly to a display or to a receiver?

I would also try using the optical port to deliver audio as a test.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

eric859

Post by eric859 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:16 am

I have swapped out the hdmi cable. I do not have another display that has hdmi (That's what I get for being an early hdtv adopter - other tv's are all component). The HDMI is going to the tv directly. I don't have any optical receivers to test with.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:19 am

I recall something similar when trying to play files that had bogus Dolby "Dialnorm" information from XBMC -> Pioneer AVR via motherboard optical.

Can you substitute another device for the Echo just to test the target device and vice versa?

eric859

Post by eric859 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:14 am

Thank you for your reply, but I only understood the 2nd sentence ;-) I will try attaching a media player via hdmi first thing tomorrow to make sure it's not my TV. Thanks!

hoonk

Post by hoonk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:34 pm

eric859 wrote:Often when I start playing something, the sound is distored and voices sound robotic.
Similar audio problems have occurred with both my linksys extenders ever since I upgraded from vista to 7. (screeching, distored, Very loud noises when first playing recorded tv, rebooting linksys always fixes it ) I have tried everything I could think of short of a new installation of 7 (not an upgrade) on a different machine.

I bought an echo during the beta period and the audio problems have vanished (on the echo, linksys still has the problem) :) So I have been one of the pleased echo/infinitv comsumers -