Valve announces SteamOS - OS for the living room

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Valve announces SteamOS - OS for the living room

Post by staknhalo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:09 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

in-home game streaming from your gaming PC to your Steam OS box

music movies & tv services

family sharing of games

deigned for the living room/10 ft. UI

based on linux

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Definitely interested in this.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Shackleford wrote:Definitely interested in this.
I am going to be emailing Gabe constantly and posting on the forums about tuner support until they support it - not if - when :P

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Nice idea, but my WMC machine already has the capability to play all of the games. No need to stream them.

And this will rule out the option to play any games I purchase via Origin, GOG, or ones that I just buy on standard media and want to install.

No go for me as it's described.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:38 pm

LuckyDay wrote:Nice idea, but my WMC machine already has the capability to play all of the games. No need to stream them.

And this will rule out the option to play any games I purchase via Origin, GOG, or ones that I just buy on standard media and want to install.

No go for me as it's described.
You can add non Steam games to Steam and launch/play them via the Steam interface. Big Picture mode doesn't prevent that in any way. I launch a bunch of non Steam games through Steam Big Picture on my HTPC currently - no reason at this point to say SteamOS streaming won't support non-Steam games you add to the interface. It might not work, sure - but we can't say yet.

And c'mon - how many times has the Netflix app broke in the past year? 2 years? It's just going to stop working one day and never be fixed. We all know that; even if we don't want to admit it. The same with the rest of WMC.

This has the potential to be the replacement HTPC OS we all deserve - even if you don't game. It's a large, well known, well liked, plenty of money having company building a new, modern HTPC OS - you should be rooting for this man :)

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 pm

Oh I'm rooting for it, but for a gaming OS the way I use it I can't use it if it's Linux.

If the streaming works for non-steam games, it would go a long way towards making it work. But I'm not sure how many of Origin's games that require authentication through their service would work (FIFA, Simcity and a couple of others come to mind).

And I also play iRacing, which is Windows only, and requires login and server authentication through their website, so that's a no go.

As for the WMC replacement, if they add tuner support it would be awesome, I'll just dual boot in the event WMC goes belly up.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 pm

I'm thinking it might be just like a sort of screen mirroring (but adjust resolution if needed etc) - if it works like that, any additional log in screens should work fine - complete conjecture on my part though as all we know at this time is it works by 'streaming'.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Yeah, it will all depend on how it works. I'll hope for the best.

But I'm not sure I would expect it to be that sort of streaming. The lag introduced by that sort of remote connection would be unbearable for certain games.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:53 pm

LuckyDay wrote:Yeah, it will all depend on how it works. I'll hope for the best.

But I'm not sure I would expect it to be that sort of streaming. The lag introduced by that sort of remote connection would be unbearable for certain games.
Yeah it will be just like OnLive - but hopefully Valve fixed all the latency problems that plagued OnLive.