Anyone bold enough to try XBMC "Eden" with new PVR support?

JazJon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone bold enough to try XBMC "Eden" with new PVR support?

Post by JazJon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 am

With all the doom and gloom over Media Center not being developed further by Microsoft, I'm starting to think of the long term future. I expect to be happy on Windows 7/8 Media Center for quite some time, but........

Has anyone been bold enough to try the latest XBMC "Eden" Alpha/Beta with new PVR support?

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=136

I wonder if it will mature to be as rock solid as Media Center. Would a 3rd party / open source community ever be granted rights to record protected CableCard content like Media Center can do today? (is it even a remote possibility with cablelabs etc?) My friend doesn't have cable at his place and swears by XBMC. The iPAD/Android XBMC remote control app is very slick too! I hope Ceton is going to support XBMC as things progresss.

Thoughts? Links to preliminary success stories or youtube demo links anyone?
Last edited by JazJon on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:35 am

already using it. trying the client on a raspberry pi combined with DVBlink software and the new mpeg2 codec

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:45 am

Tell me more. Are you using a USB or Network CableCard tuner? Does it feel like it has potential from what you've experienced and read what's in the works?

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:38 am

I just made a long post, with a lot of questions in the XMBC PVR Development forum.

"With WMC Sunset/EOL, is XBMC PVR the Future?"
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139815

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:46 pm

UK so no cable card for us. no DRM in fact.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:45 pm

At one point Ceton stated that they would assist and perhaps even sponsor help in another media center community including XBMC to allow the DRM spec to be used and to help with the certification process. I posted withthe question originally when I saw some developersmmaking progree with clear infinitv streams. I'm not sure however if CableLabs would try to block this.

Greg
Greg

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:11 am

@bobob I'm currently awaiting my R pi, I was looking at just such a project. Do U use raspbmc?
Lee

Slangaren

Post by Slangaren » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:35 pm

bobbob wrote:already using it. trying the client on a raspberry pi combined with DVBlink software and the new mpeg2 codec
Hi,

How did you do that?
I have tried the same.

I have the DVBLink server (v4.5) running on WHS2.
I tried to download and import the DVBLink client (for Raspbmc) into the Pi using "browse and import zip" or whatever it said.
My problem is that the DVBLink client shows up as a "Video" client and NOT as a PVR client.

When I try to activate a PVR client, there is no way for me to chose the DVBLink client Only the pre defined by XBMC is there..

I run the 2 of Sep version of RASPBMC.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:27 pm

its not working a a PVR client yet, the PVR branch on xbmc has not been going long i don't think. just play back with basic epg this is the development thread for the PVR client http://dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19703

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 pm

yes, using raspbmc. personally i find the pi too slow but xbmc as a client / server model is looking to have promise

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:35 am

bobbob wrote:its not working a a PVR client yet, the PVR branch on xbmc has not been going long i don't think. just play back with basic epg this is the development thread for the PVR client http://dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19703
Thanks for the link, I'm looking forward to seeing development move forward. I'm not in a rush to ditch Media Center any time soon, but I want to keep monitoring progress as new options mature.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:29 am

i'm still with WMC for the foreseeable future, i'm actually optimistic about win8. but i may run a xbmc library along side it if i can fine a better low powered device than the pi

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:07 am

bobbob wrote:i'm still with WMC for the foreseeable future, i'm actually optimistic about win8. but i may run a xbmc library along side it if i can fine a better low powered device than the pi
Yeah I'm willing to experiment with XBMC PVR on the side. (maybe even dedicate 1 of my 8 Ceton tuners via network to it if that's possible even) It's way too early though.

The Zotac ZBOX line are very close to being the perfect lower power yet powerful mini-pc

The of Intel Core i3 2330M 2.2 GHz Dual-Core the ID82 is nice, but it's Intel HD 3000 sucks. (choked on Ceton Tuner, I tried it)
http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id82.html

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M of the ID84 is good (even supports Blu-Ray 3D decoding) but it's Intel Atom D2550 1.86 GHz Dual-Core is TOO SLOW! (for me at least)
http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id84.html

If they can have something with a minimum of 2.2 GHz Dual-Core AND a decent NVIDIA or Radeon graphics, they will have the ultimate mini-PC

winterescape

Post by winterescape » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:21 pm

I used Mediaportal http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ in the past and it is a fantastic alternative to WMC. Full function DVR, lots of plug-ins, actively developed. Downside is that it always seemed to require a tweak here or there to keep it going. No big deal for me but not something I could give my wife or father without expecting to support it.

Openelec http://openelec.tv/ is what I am watching as a WMC replacement along with whatever Google eventually does with the acquisition of SageTV
http://www.sagetv.com/

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:58 am

It's been almost a year since I made this post. Has anyone experimented with http://www.nextpvr.com/ ? and or XBMC V12 Eden / V13 Gotham?

XBMC for avi/mkv/mp4 alone is pretty slick. (the iPad app is outstanding)

Media Center is still king for rock solid PVR/DVR, and added Ceton apps make it better than ever. I'm still curious and hoping the alternatives will mature into something nice in the next year or two. I haven't heard much talk about it on here so I thought I'd ask again.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:32 am

still running the dual systems although dvblink have released a native pvr solution for xbmc since. its not perfect but it does the job

asm495

Post by asm495 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:40 am

I don't have much time at present (2 kids and one who is only 5 months). However when I have had the chance I've been swapping out the boot HD on my WMC "server" and booting into Windows to run Argus TV Server connected to XBMC. I've only had a very quick play so far but it does appear to work on the surface. I am fairly sure I am going to be heading down this path soon. XBMC is actively developed and WMC will never progress any further than it is now. I've used WMC for 9 years now but everything comes to an end eventually.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 am

Well instead of just asking everyone else, maybe it's time I dive in and try one. I got interested in XBMC again recently after setting up my friends Mac Mini for his movie & tv collection.

The biggest hold up testing new PVR software for me in the past was your tuner was dedicated to the PC via PCIe or USB. I didn't want to interrupt a smooth running MCE system. (and miss shows etc)

Now that I have a Network Tuner, I can experiment with something from my laptop on the side. (Ceton 6 ETH) At first glace it seems more weight is thrown behind silicon dust for non MCE PVR's. I'm sure once the DLNA + hardware h264 version of prime comes out even more innovation will occur.

I see 10 PVR choice add-on's in XBMC. I'm going to read around before I pick the first one to try. Hell I don't even know if Ceton ETH 6 is supported on anything other than MCE. I don't expect to make the switch any time soon, but I'd like to stay in the loop on what all our choices are, and see the performance and reliability for myself.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:33 pm

JazJon wrote:Well instead of just asking everyone else, maybe it's time I dive in and try one. I got interested in XBMC again recently after setting up my friends Mac Mini for his movie & tv collection.

The biggest hold up testing new PVR software for me in the past was your tuner was dedicated to the PC via PCIe or USB. I didn't want to interrupt a smooth running MCE system. (and miss shows etc)

Now that I have a Network Tuner, I can experiment with something from my laptop on the side. (Ceton 6 ETH) At first glace it seems more weight is thrown behind silicon dust for non MCE PVR's. I'm sure once the DLNA + hardware h264 version of prime comes out even more innovation will occur.

I see 10 PVR choice add-on's in XBMC. I'm going to read around before I pick the first one to try. heck I don't even know if Ceton ETH 6 is supported on anything other than MCE. I don't expect to make the switch any time soon, but I'd like to stay in the loop on what all our choices are, and see the performance and reliability for myself.
When I was playing around with this a few months ago, I tried TVHeadend and MythTv for a backend. Definitely go with MythTv if you can. The hold up for me was the speed of my Raspberry Pi and Media Center is still serving all my needs.

asm495

Post by asm495 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 am

If anyone is interested someone has released some Beta code to setup WMC as a TV backend for XBMC:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139748&page=39

Of course it won't work if you have protected content but for me just using DVB-S2 it should be just the ticket. This may well help my migration from WMC Server + Xbox 360s Extenders to a TV Server plus Intel NUC OpenElec boxes.