Green screen after turning TV back on

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
greendragoon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Green screen after turning TV back on

Post by greendragoon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Greetings,

I've recently been trying to solve an issue for a while now. My media center (currently running a Radeon HD 6570) is having an issue when I turn on my HDTV I sometimes get a green screen. The only way to solve it is by unplugging the HDMI and replugging it back in. I've poked around enough to guess it's an issue with the HDMI handshake, but I'm having difficulty finding a solution.

Something that might be related, but I'm not sure, is the MC DVD player has a tenancy to resume DVDs (DVDs that I've already started playing but have stopped and then come back to) in a garbled state. Stopping the DVD and resuming again will clear this up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:32 am

Try using a different HDMI cable and a different HDMI input on the TV. You may also want to connect a spare desktop LCD monitor (with an HDMI input) and see if the same green screen appears.

Also, what version of the ATI drivers are you using?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:09 pm

As a test next time it happens press liveTV on the remote.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

greendragoon

Post by greendragoon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the response. I'll try and answer the questions.

I've already replaced my HDMI cable with a new one (which I made sure was hi-speed) and didn't have any change.

I've tried both the Catalyst 13.4 and the beta 13.6 drivers with no change.

Pressing the Live TV button does seem to restore video.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:31 pm

^ Okay.
There is a way to automate the HDMI handshake, so that when you turn on the TV, a forced HDMI handshake fixes green screen.
It works seamlessly and unless you know it's doing it in the background, you won't sense it.

You won't need any other hardware and it's free, just takes a short while to setup.
If interested I can explain.

greendragoon

Post by greendragoon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Count me interested. What are the steps?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:35 pm

HdmiYo and EventGhost. I'll type something up tonight.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Before the OP goes to the trouble of setting up a macro in Event Ghost, he might want to test HdmiYo first to see if it solves his problem. I believe HdmiYo has an option to be triggered by a keyboard. It would be an easy test. Then, if it works, he could move on to setup the Event Ghost macro to trigger HdmiYo automatically.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:53 pm

He has the same symptoms as I did, using an ATI GPU. getting green/black screen. Pressing Live TV 'fixes' the problem. A HdmiYo init will work I guarantee it.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 pm

OK, but it seems like a simple test before setting up EG would be a good idea nevertheless. He's gonna have to install HdmiYo either way, and it doesn't hurt to do a simple test by pressing a few keys on the keyboard.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 pm

That would have been a step I was going to mention when I get time to write it up.

I'm running around like a loon right now and shouldn't even be typing this. I will follow up tonight.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:04 pm

Go with me here, it won't be so much as a how to, but just plain instruction:

You will need:

HdmiYo
http://mymce.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/hdmiyo/
Sits in the task bar and waits for a key combo to force a HDMI init.

EventGhost
http://www.eventghost.org/
Used to automate the HdmiYo init sequence.

Install and test hdmiYo: Default key combo is CTRL/Space. The screen fades out to black then will pop back once the HDMI handshake has completed. You will find, if you can test a green screen scenario, that the key combo will bring back your picture. Tick the box in options to start with windows.

Install EventGhost.
It has some modules that were inteded to be used with a MCE remote and IR receiver for you to control the PC using a remote. There are no limits to your choices and you can setup and control pretty much anything related to the PC.-

Install these two plugins by right clicking anywhere in the second window:
  • Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista/Win7
    MCE
Once done, we have to put back into the registry a chunk that has just been removed by installing one of the plugins. This is because the plugin is designed to take exclusive use of the remote receiver and stops IR MC functionality, so it removes the MC IR branch. We still want it to control MC with the remote so adding the registry branch back allows both functions to work together.
Download the attachment and double click on the reg file. This will install it back into the registry.

Testing
With something covering your TV's IR receiver, MC minimized, and EventGhost open, press power for the TV. The IR string should register in the log of EventGhost.
It will look something like this: MceRemote.Unknown17FF57FF5FFDE7E (yours may have a different string of HEX).

If you see this then all good, on to the next stage...

Creating a Macro
  • Right click in the second window once more and add Macro
    You can name this to anything you like or just leave default.
    Add your MceRemote.Unknown HEX code - you can drag it from the left window log into the Macro. This will be your trigger.
    Now add an action:
    Emulate Keystrokes
    Edit the action to combo CTRL/Space
Save the config file. and in EventGhost options, tick Autostart on system startup and minimize to system tray on close.

The BIG test
Press TV power on the remote, with the object still blocking the IR on the TV.
Hopefully you will see HdmiYo do it's thing and the sequence be logged in EG. The next time you fire up the system you should not see the green screen. If you do, add a short pause in the Macro you just created.

That's pretty much it. You can adapt / add pauses / add more stuff - for instance the second plugin you installed, maps all the keys of a Media Center remote, so for instance, you can map an unused '*' or '#' button to do the HdmiYo sequence or do something else. Up to you.

Let me know how you get on.
Attachments
EventGhost MCE Remote.zip
(889 Bytes) Downloaded 134 times

natlight

Post by natlight » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:18 pm

I've been having this same issue for a while also. I was using the integrated video (nVidia) from my motherboard with no problems. It fried a while back so I bought a no name cheap ati video card and starting getting the green screen on occasion. I found a name brand ati card on sale a couple weeks ago and bought it hoping it would fix this issue but now i get a black screen instead of a green screen. I normally hit cntrl+alt+delete then down arrow and enter. That brings up the switch user screen which apparently makes the HDMI handshake happen but it is a pain and doesnt always work.

Does anyone know if this is only an ATI problem? I'd rather just get a low level nvidia card to fix it if the problem only exists on ATI cards. I just don't want to get burned again.

Thanks!

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:50 pm

It's an ATI thing. Seriously try the fix, it works and opens up lots more possibilities of automating things. Very minimal resources. Heck, even assign a spare button on your remote to force handshake if you want.

I find the ATI GPU to have crisper PQ than Nvidia.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:57 pm

By the way, I have found it depends on what version of ATI driver you have installed as to whether you get green or black screen.