WMC7 confused about new recordings

trini0

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC7 confused about new recordings

Post by trini0 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm trying to figure out why I've been unable to record new episodes of Top Gear.
According to the guide in WMC7, it is showing as a re-run, with the original aired date of 7/14. On Zap2It's website, for my area/provider, it is showing as a new episode.
I've confirmed that the time/date is correct on the server. And I tried going through the tuner setup and verified that I chose my area code/provider.
I've noticed that this issue happens now and then with other shows. But it always happens with Top Gear.
This is a brand new install of WMC7.
Does anyone have an idea as to what my problem can be?
If you need any more information, please let me know.
Thanks
Attachments
TopGear-Settings.png
Settings
TopGear-Zap2It.png
Zap2It
TopGear-Zap2It.png (35.1 KiB) Viewed 939 times
TopGear-WMC7.png

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Contact Zap2IT? I'm not sure why it would show new on their site but as a rerun in the guide.

A workaround is to set it to record all episodes (rerun+new) at the given time only new episodes premiere (9.pm.). When the season is over, set it back to new only. I've had to do this time to time for when I have had this problem on other shows. You'll end up with a few actual repeats recorded, but if they're not from the day of the week new episodes premiere, you know you can delete them.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:30 pm

I always assumed it was because the "Original Air Date" on BBC America was the date that it originally aired in the UK. I know I've encountered this on BBC America shows before (not all of them).

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Yeah, I've gotten it with BBC shows that air here on SyFy channel.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Zap2it is really bad about initially creating faulty listings and then going back and making corrections to that data at a later time. There is a 2-3 day lag between the time Zap2it makes a correction and the time that correction is reflected in WMC. So if Zap2it just made the correction yesterday, you probably won't get the version of the EPG that contains the correct data until Tuesday or Wednesday...after the episode has aired.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:36 pm

foxwood wrote:I always assumed it was because the "Original Air Date" on BBC America was the date that it originally aired in the UK. I know I've encountered this on BBC America shows before (not all of them).
Wouldn't that cause Zap2it's website to also show the episode as a rerun instead of a new episode? I can't remember, but it seems like I've dealt with that before.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 pm

richard1980 wrote:Wouldn't that cause Zap2it's website to also show the episode as a rerun instead of a new episode? I can't remember, but it seems like I've dealt with that before.
No necessarily - Zap2It may use other information to decide whether or not a show is a rerun.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Zap2It might list it as a new episode because they know it is - but then the original airdate flag causes WMC to mark it as a rerun, overriding the downloaded Zap2It guide data listing it as new? Just guessing.

trini0

Post by trini0 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:57 pm

staknhalo wrote:Contact Zap2IT? I'm not sure why it would show new on their site but as a rerun in the guide.

A workaround is to set it to record all episodes (rerun+new) at the given time only new episodes premiere (9.pm.). When the season is over, set it back to new only. I've had to do this time to time for when I have had this problem on other shows. You'll end up with a few actual repeats recorded, but if they're not from the day of the week new episodes premiere, you know you can delete them.
Your work around, is doable. Thanks for the idea.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:16 pm

It's sad that TMS continually uses the UK first air date for these shows because it always messes up DVRs. Not just WMC in this case, new-only SPs on Tivo get messed up too. You'd think that BBCA first air date (i.e. USA first shown) would be the one that is set, but I don't know if it's BBCA giving TMS bad data or TMS messing it up. Either way, it's wrong. Saw the same problem with Merlin on SyFy, every year after it was moved there. Fortunately there weren't many reruns of that show, but there's tons of Top Gear UK.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 pm

It happens on other shows on other networks, I think. There's a show on at the moment called Motive on ABC at the moment that was first broadcast in Canada earlier in the year. I think I missed the first couple of episodes because I had added it to the schedule, but the shows looked like re-runs to WMC.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Yeah first air date is a continual problem on our local PBS stations too, I've seen shows like Globe Trekker show up as new with wrong (current) first air dates when I know they were first broadcast last year or even before that. Just had one happen this week, ep was Mid-Atlantic States which was first run last year. Same with Hometime and other syndicated shows.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 pm

The first episode of Primeval: New World on SyFy was dated some time last year because that's when Canada broadcast it. So I set to record once to make sure I got it. But either the 2nd or 3rd episode the EPG was changed to New so I changed my preferences. This was via Dish satellite which also gets things mixed up at times.