ClearQAM, Comcast, & the SF Bay Area

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
woodchuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

ClearQAM, Comcast, & the SF Bay Area

Post by woodchuck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:40 am

Anyone out here in the bay trying to pull ClearQAM off of Comcast? What channels are you getting? I have an InfiniTV rig and would love to add more channels via ClearQAM, but I'm not sure if it is worth the effort.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 am

If you are in an all-digital market, I wouldn't even bother. Comcast was at the front of the fight to encrypt the basic tier, and the FCC recently approved the encryption of the basic tier for all-digital systems. I expect Comcast to start encrypting the basic tier soon...which means goodbye ClearQAM.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Vote with your dollars. If your cable company starts encrypting the basic channels "just because they can", then you should tell them in no uncertain terms how unhappy you are with that. Then, if you have another cable provider in your area, switch cable providers.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:21 am

I wouldn't bother either. Comcrap now encrypts all of my channels. My Hauppauge 2250 is now useless.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:25 am

lithium630 wrote:I wouldn't bother either. Comcrap now encrypts all of my channels. My Hauppauge 2250 is now useless.
Wanna sell it? How much?

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
lithium630 wrote:I wouldn't bother either. Comcrap now encrypts all of my channels. My Hauppauge 2250 is now useless.
Wanna sell it? How much?
For you my friend. The cost of shipping.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:57 pm

lithium630 wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:
Wanna sell it? How much?
For you my friend. The cost of shipping.
Cool. I'll send you a PM.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:06 am

still getting OTA digital clearQAM here on the SF peninsula, but recently noticed that Comcast has been moving stations around after being stable for a few years.

they moved channel 2.1 to 79.2 and 5.1 to 79.1

I thought they were starting to encrypt stations, but I found them when I rescanned the entire listing.

I have a Hauppauge 1850 and I use digital feed direct to cable and the analog for the cable box. the odd thing is that after rescan I had to manually add about 2/3 of the analog channels and 1/2 of the digital channels. not fun.

I'm hoping that they don't encrypt clearQAM for a while. when they do I may have to get a network tuner like HDHomeRun Prime and pay for a cable card.

anyone know if I pay for just standard digital, will I get OTA stations in HD or will I have to get the lowest price HD package to get any HD?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:10 pm

gary94080 wrote:still getting OTA digital clearQAM here on the SF peninsula, but recently noticed that Comcast has been moving stations around after being stable for a few years.

I thought they were starting to encrypt stations, but I found them when I rescanned the entire listing.

I have a Hauppauge 1850 and I use digital feed direct to cable and the analog for the cable box. the odd thing is that after rescan I had to manually add about 2/3 of the analog channels and 1/2 of the digital channels. not fun.

I'm hoping that they don't encrypt clearQAM for a while. when they do I may have to get a network tuner like HDHomeRun Prime and pay for a cable card.

anyone know if I pay for just standard digital, will I get OTA stations in HD or will I have to get the lowest price HD package to get any HD?

Since they still have analog in that area, they do not qualify for the encrypt everything item from the FCC. BUT unfortunately the reorder is one of the first steps to going all digital. They are required to notify you before they can get rid of analog ("upgrade your service to digital"), then once more before they can encrypt everything ... (so don't ignore those pesky little postcards they send... there is fine print in there that may announce the change or if suddenly they offer "free" digital set top box for ~ 1 year)
Time is on my side.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Should still work with antenna.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 pm

TeddyR wrote:
gary94080 wrote:still getting OTA digital clearQAM here on the SF peninsula, but recently noticed that Comcast has been moving stations around after being stable for a few years.

Since they still have analog in that area, they do not qualify for the encrypt everything item from the FCC. BUT unfortunately the reorder is one of the first steps to going all digital. They are required to notify you before they can get rid of analog ("upgrade your service to digital"), then once more before they can encrypt everything ... (so don't ignore those pesky little postcards they send... there is fine print in there that may announce the change or if suddenly they offer "free" digital set top box for ~ 1 year)
analog has been gone for about 6 months to a year. we have had the analog digital adaptors for several years.

aren't they supposed to have the HD digital adaptors for OTA stations available before they can encrypt clearQAM? I have not seen any notices for that yet.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:08 am

gary94080 wrote:aren't they supposed to have the HD digital adaptors for OTA stations available before they can encrypt clearQAM? I have not seen any notices for that yet.
The cable company is required to offer affected subscribers either a set-top box or a CableCARD (and in some cases, up to two STBs or CableCARDs). There is a rule unrelated to encryption that requires the cable company to deliver broadcast channels in HD if the signal is received by the cable company in HD. Simply put, subscribers will be offered either a CableCARD or a regular HD cable box.

As for the notice, the rule requires 30 days advance notice before encrypting.

ToddD

Post by ToddD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Vote with your dollars. If your cable company starts encrypting the basic channels "just because they can", then you should tell them in no uncertain terms how unhappy you are with that. Then, if you have another cable provider in your area, switch cable providers.
Get ready! Brighthouse is planning to do this to us soon! As you know we have no other cable provider.