Quiet XBOX 360

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
blueiedgod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Quiet XBOX 360

Post by blueiedgod » Thu May 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Bought a RRODed XBOX 360 for $20 and fixed it. Does anyone know how to make it silent?

I googled some solutions, which either involve cutting a hole on top to mount a 120 mm fan, or mounting 2x 80 mm fans on the back and cutting the case.

The thing is not suitable for bedroom use. It sounds like a jet on take off.

I am looking for solutions that TGB members implemented that are have high WAF and child friendly.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu May 16, 2013 6:00 pm

The noise on mine came from the power brick, not the Xbox itself. Nothing I tried made much difference. Maybe you could come up with your own fanless power supply. This is the major reason I replaced mine with Echoes.

EDIT: I'm talking about the slim. I have no idea about the old Xbox.
Last edited by mdavej on Fri May 17, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Thu May 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Xbox console or xbox slim? The console was pretty loud, but the slim is no problem as far as I'm concerned.
Insert massive war on xbox noise here...

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri May 17, 2013 1:51 pm

bmblank wrote:Xbox console or xbox slim? The console was pretty loud, but the slim is no problem as far as I'm concerned.
Insert massive war on xbox noise here...

Not the slim, regular XBOX360. I'd kill for a slim for $20. But, they don't seem to die as often as regular 360's.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri May 31, 2013 4:35 pm

Update my own thread:

I have been playing with different heat transfer compounds. Seems like Arctic Silver 5 makes the xbox really quiet. I didn't believe when someone told me to use that instead of white grease that I had. I tried Arctic Silver 2, and it made a bit of a difference, but Arctc Silver 5 yielded the best results. No more jet on take off sound from the xbox.

werds

Post by werds » Fri May 31, 2013 5:12 pm

So you didn't make any hardware modifications? All you did was replace the thermal interface material and that improved things that much?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm

werds wrote:So you didn't make any hardware modifications? All you did was replace the thermal interface material and that improved things that much?

Well... I did modify the heatsink mounting system, but I tested the same mounting system with different compounds.

The modification involves taking the x-clamp out, drilling holes in the metal case to accept 5 mm bolts, installing washers to level the mobo, and washers to limit the pressure on the CPU and GPU when the heat sinks are mounted.

Basically, the motheboard is then sandwiched between the metal case, and heatsink.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:13 pm

I tried that sandwich fix on my original XBox (circa 2006). It worked for about a month and then red ringed again. I didn't have the patience to fix it again, and I ended up buying another white XBox... which is still working today.

On topic... I believe the power brick on my 360 puts out as much noise as the 360 itself. MS used some pretty cheap fans in the back of the original 360s as well...
Your idea of throwing in a top mount fan and possibly slowing down the rear fans might help eliminate some of the jet sounds. But when it's all said and done... it may not be worth all of your effort and money. it's ultimately your call.