Picking a WMC / Universal Remote

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
jewrican

HTPC Specs: Show details

Picking a WMC / Universal Remote

Post by jewrican » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:15 am

Well, I am having a tough time with this. I am looking for a remote that will control a WMC that I am building but I want it to be able to control my TV and audio receiver as well.

I am wondering if it is possible to do so all while being able to use a button for "the green button" and making WMC navigation and use simple. For the receiver, it really only needs to be able to turn it on and adjust the volume. On the tv, just turn it on and change inputs. I would love for it to be able to do more, but the requirements are quite simple.

As far as the green button and other WMC operation - are these done with discrete codes or something? How do these work on universal remotes?

What do you recommend? I really wish the WMC remotes were more universal.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:38 am

I can't think of many universal remotes that won't meet those simple requirements. On most you can assign any function to any button. I use the $8 RCA RCRP05BR. Harmony and URC are also popular but more expensive. I also use Xsight remotes. With the RCA you can easily add any individual function with codes. It can also do learning, macros, volume punch thru and is programmable like harmony with an optional cable.

jewrican

Post by jewrican » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 am

thanks for the info! What if i wanted to add a macro to turn everything on and possibly set specific actions. I want to stay away from Harmony remotes I think.

I had a Philips Pronto years ago which is no longer working so I am SOO spoiled by its flexibility. I keep finding myself in the several hundred dollar price range which I am not excited about.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:06 am

You can do anything with a JP1 remote like the RCA. But what you describe is no problem with harmony either. You just make custom activities with additional commands at the start. However turning EVERYTHING on seems like a bad idea. Why not just turn on what you need?

jewrican

Post by jewrican » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Well that is really what I am looking for. I just a button to turn tv, receiver and wmc on as a macro. Then other actions could take care of turning other components on as needed.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 pm

In that case just about any universal remote will work fine, including the ones mentioned already. I'm partial to the RCA due to it's amazing programming capabilities and low price. I have 12 devices and 35 macros on mine, some of which have over 20 steps. So it can easily handle a 3 step macro. It controls everything in my house, including all my extenders and my lights. It does 5 functions per button, state tracking, conditional branching, subroutines, device multiplexing, signal analysis, pronto hex import/export, custom protocols, etc. My harmonys and Xsights work fine too but are more expensive and less programmable. Seems like I paid around $35 for my refurb harmony 600s. That was a pretty good deal. Another cheap remote that's popular is the URC WR7. I think it's around $20.

jewrican

Post by jewrican » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks a bunch. Couple of questions on your response.

1. The RCA remote mentioned above - what cable and or software would I need to pick up to program that remote? This seems so cheap and simple which is great.
2. Does the Xsight have a device for WMC to use - in other words can I easily program a green button and other common commands if desired? looking at the touch if i do - http://www.acoustic-research.com/univer ... ku=ARRX18G

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:48 pm

1. You can do the simple programming you have described without any cable or software. If you want to get into JP1 programming, just get an FTDI cable like THISand use our free Remote Master software.

2. I have a couple of Xsight Touches, and adding all the commands, including the green button, was trivial. I assume you already have an MCE remote you can learn from if necessary?

The Xsight is very similar to your old Pronto remotes in terms of how it operates. Xsight macros are just macros, not modes like harmony. Plus you have complete control over all the steps in the macros, unlike harmony, where most are automatically added and can't be changed. And if you want to add RF, just get a Nevo REX-433 base and the Xsight Touch will work fine with it.

BTW, Xsight remotes also work with Remote Master (currently in alpha).

jewrican

Post by jewrican » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:54 pm

would you recommend trying to pick up a used one? Any common issues with them? Seems like about 75 bucks for a used one which would be pretty acceptable.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:10 pm

That's a tough call. I had some buttons start to fail on one of mine after a year, but got it replaced under warranty. Not sure how difficult it would be to get warranty support on a used one.

If you do buy used, make sure it comes with the charging base, power adapter and a cable or be prepared to buy one. It's just a standard Mini B. You don't need the software since it can be downloaded from the site.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 pm

I use the RCA RCRP05BR which was recommended by mdavej. So far the remote does everything I want it to without using a JP1 cable. I plan on getting a cable in order to try a few extra things, however the remote is quite versatile just working with the supplied codes. It controls my HTPC, the AVR volume control & a few macros. Highly recommended. I also got mine for $8 on sale. IIRC the list price is $20.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:41 pm

Mike88 wrote:I use the RCA RCRP05BR which was recommended by mdavej. So far the remote does everything I want it to without using a JP1 cable. I plan on getting a cable in order to try a few extra things, however the remote is quite versatile just working with the supplied codes. It controls my HTPC, the AVR volume control & a few macros. Highly recommended. I also got mine for $8 on sale. IIRC the list price is $20.
I would stay away from the diygadget.com cables due to poor construction and unreliable performance. Get one based on the FTDI chipset. It's been probably a year since I last looked at this, but unless Tommy Tyler has resumed selling cables, the best bet is to construct the one he describes here, which is what I did; it took about 5 minutes to change out the header so it will fit the JP1 remote's interface port, with no soldering or other skill required:

Build Your Own USB JP1.2/3 Flash Interface

jewrican

Post by jewrican » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 pm

thx! very easy.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:34 pm

I was digging around in my closet the other day and ran across the perfect WMC/Xbox/Echo remote. It's the now discontinued Radio Shack Gamer Pro remote (model 15-133). Like the RCA mentioned earlier, it's JP1.3, has MCE and XBox codes built in, and has an extender. But unlike the RCA, it's backlit, has a simple layout and has a green Start button. If you run across one of these on ebay or amazon, I highly recommend it. I happened to have several and set them up for my PC, Xboxes and Echoes and they work beautifully.

Also note that both the RCA and this radio shack are 8 device (internally in the case of the RCA), have learning, macros (activities) and volume punch through, and can add any command using codes, all of which can be done without a JP1 cable if you choose.

nick

Post by nick » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Harmony 650 is simple to use and easy to program for WMC

Bix

Post by Bix » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Get whatever the cheapest Rosewill (house brand) MCE remote is at NewEgg and use the dongle with a Logitech Harmony 600 or better. They all have screens that allow the addition of many extra buttons not physically on the remote. I would recommend at least getting a Harmony 700; the 600 and 650 have very fragile battery contacts that bend out of place if the remote is dropped. It's a remote, so that's gonna happen. Plus the 700 comes with rechargeable batteries and a charging cable that can charge directly though the remote. A refurbished 700 goes for $70 at Tiger Direct (sometimes $60 on sale): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=5686