Having trouble with Hauppauge DCR-2650 remote

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
defl8ed

HTPC Specs: Show details

Having trouble with Hauppauge DCR-2650 remote

Post by defl8ed » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:19 am

Decided to build a HTPC for my parents out of an old computer I had sitting in a closet. It already had Windows 7 on it and I have another PC I was already using a DCR-2650 on with no issues so I decided to use the same setup for them. Got the unit up and working and the card activated with no issues, but I have run into the weirdest issue that I thought I'd ask for advice on. The remote control would not work at all - no reaction whatsoever from the PC. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Hauppauge software, even used their utility you can download to remove any and all Hauppauge software and drivers off the machine to no effect. I verified that after re-install the Microsoft E-Home transceiver was installed and that the Hauppauge IR service was running properly. Out of a sense of utter dogged thoroughness I tried something that made no sense whatsoever and deactivated the Windows firewall. (For reasons completely alien to me) It worked!.... Kind of... Now all of the buttons on the remote work except for the Up, Down, Left, Right, and OK buttons - all of which are more than a little bit necessary. I did get them a nice little mini wireless keyboard/touchpad mouse unit to go with the HTPC but I'm positive that unless this thing comes with a recognizable/somewhat familiar remote control that they will never use this thing. Has anyone ever run into anything remotely similar to this? Is there any way that I can manually assign functions to the buttons on the stock Hauppauge DCR-2650 remote?

barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Why are you trying to install the Hauppauge IR service? If you have an eHome transceiver, then no additional software is required for the remote to work.