Adding UK Freesat HD channels into W7MC

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
davidp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Adding UK Freesat HD channels into W7MC

Post by davidp » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 am

Is there any easy solution to automate the inclusion of the DVB-S2 HD channels, and also ITV HD, into W7MC Guide?

I am using the TBS6981 S2 dual tuner with W7MC and each time I do complete TV satellite scan, I have to manually configure most of the HD channels and I have yet to succeed with C4HD.

I can manually activate ITV HD using Gimme ITVHD, and BBC1HD by manually entering in the satellite configuration. After usually a couple of attempts I manage to add BBC1HD into the guide lists but I have not yet succeeded in adding C4HD. Then I have to manually configure the guide listings to include the program schedules.

Is there any simple way to do this?
Can i use the 28.2e satellite.ini files (from KingOfSat) and import these into W7MC ?
Or is DVBLink the best way to bypass the limitations of W7MC?

thanks
David

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Teh hauppauge card I have required a registry hack patch that pulled S2 data from the reg. I have re-setup my lineup several times and have no problem finding Ch4 hd, itv hd, bbc HD and BBC1 hd.

Perhaps your manufacturer has released a similar patch?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:33 pm

If u scan the relevant transponders you shouldn't have any problems with the tbs card. I didn't....
oh and guidetool is great for assigning the correct epg to "most" channels.
Lee

davidp

Post by davidp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Fleadh,
The hauppauge registry patch sounds like just the sort of solution I am looking for. I have not found any such patch from TBS, do you know if the hauppage registry hack is just for hauppage tuners, or does if fix generic S2 tuners?

Lee,
Most time working through the transponder information does resolve the channels, but if I am not available and there is a repeat of the June 6th changes, I would like to have applied a patch so the standard W7MC retune can be used by anyone. The guidetool is great but it does require a techie level of understanding to operate.

My goal is to remove any dependency on my skills to carry out a successfull retune.

David

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:18 am

I doubt the hauppauge patch is generic as my tbs6981 card works and my skystar hd2 doesn't .... nova-s2 is fine obviously
Lee

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:42 am

I recently got a tbs 6981 and not really had chance to tweak it but....
I did a full scan twice just to make sure nothing was missed. C4HD showed up in the jumbled listings, One of the BBC HD channels showed up (can't remember if it was BBC HD or BBC ONE HD) but trying to view the channel just said no signal, ITV HD was fine.
Had to run the patch (i think instructions are here although site seems to be down for maintenance while i'm typing this - http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?22320)
Got all the available DVB-S2 HD channels working after that although they are still blocky/jumpy despite using the tuner with both nvidia and ati graphics cards in different pc's. A little unimpressed by DVB-S2 on the 6981 so far

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:09 pm

FWIW I also had to so a second all transponders scan to pick up ch4 hd and bbc one HD IIRC

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 pm

sorethumbs wrote:I recently got a tbs 6981 and not really had chance to tweak it but....
I did a full scan twice just to make sure nothing was missed. C4HD showed up in the jumbled listings, One of the BBC HD channels showed up (can't remember if it was BBC HD or BBC ONE HD) but trying to view the channel just said no signal, ITV HD was fine.
Had to run the patch (i think instructions are here although site seems to be down for maintenance while i'm typing this - http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?22320)
Got all the available DVB-S2 HD channels working after that although they are still blocky/jumpy despite using the tuner with both nvidia and ati graphics cards in different pc's. A little unimpressed by DVB-S2 on the 6981 so far
Have you checked your dish alignment mate my 6981 is perfect?? i had this problem when my motor started to drift off the arc...
Lee

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

I just posted a response to the OP other post. I can confirm that I too needed the Hauppauge patch to receive all the UK HD channels including C4. The patch is non generic because it is just a registry patch for MCE.
Some times I wake up sleepy, other times I let her sleep!

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:36 am

milli260876 wrote:
sorethumbs wrote:I recently got a tbs 6981 and not really had chance to tweak it but....
Have you checked your dish alignment mate my 6981 is perfect?? i had this problem when my motor started to drift off the arc...
I've not checked that, but when i was setting it up in media center (i forget which page it is) but you go to do a transponder scan and you get signal strength little meter with green blocks like i dunno 6 or 7 and mine didn't go up all the way was three quarters strength. Tried my compro s350 and it went to full strength, took out the sat feed and tried them on my Humax Freesat Hdr and got 100% strength on each tuner so i wonder if card is a bit dodgy

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 am

Did you plug the power in on the tbs? I thought it was just for disecq or motors but maybe not... you could get a satellite line amplifier see if that helps they're only a couple of quid ...
Lee

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:39 am

I can't remember if i did or not, line seems to be fine according to the other hardware tests. I'm in process of putting it all into a smaller case so when i get everything screwed in and working i'll give it another go, tonight i hope

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51 pm

The receiver might be weak... try a line amp if all else fails, worth a shot at a few quid!
Lee

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:40 am

As an update i recently got hold of an Asus P5N7A-VM with onboard Nvidia 9300 graphics so i thought i'd try that with this TBS 6981 after previously getting blocky HD channels with a gigabyte board that i had tried with both an Nvidia 8800GT and an ATi 5550.
Signal still shows only 3 out of the 5 bars when i set it up in media center but blocky HD seems to have pretty much disappeared (i used the latest v19 driver from the TBS site).
On the initial basic media center setup it found BBC HD showed 'No Signal', C4 HD worked as did ITV HD. Ran a full scan and it found a further 400 odd channels. Ran another scan and found 4 or 5 more. At this point i was going to run the Hauppauge patch but decided to just scan as per the instructions on the hauppauge forum

Carrier Frequency 10847MHz
Symbol Rate = 23000 kSymbols/s
Polarity = Vertical

Additionally Channel 4 HD:

Carrier Frequency 12607MHz
Symbol Rate = 27500 kSymbols/s
Polarity = Vertical

BBC HD will already be in the Guide as 108 and once the patch is applied will be viewable. The others will be added.

I ran the first scan (10847mhz - which interestingly the signal in media center was up and down like a yo-yo) BBC One HD then showed up and BBC HD was now viewable (might be the other way round i forget which BBC one is which), i did the C4 scan as well despite already having it just to make sure i'd done everything possible and covered everything.

So fingers crossed it seems to be ok now albeit on a machine with onboard graphics which i'm probably happier about (but not happy i bought a ATi 5550 that is now redundant).

One more thing - i've read you can go to edit channel and source to find out the signal strength of a channel, all the channels i try this on the signal just says 0% yet the channel is displaying fine

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:49 pm

I'd suggest DVBLogic, it'll give you the BBC red button channels as separate channels, all the HD channels, renumbering of channels and sorting out the guide listings, works like a charm, although a bit difficult to configure at first. I've written the configuration steps down for my own reinstallation's which I'll share if required.

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:24 am

After all that - one of the connectors at the back has come away from its joint and is all wobbly, back to Amazon. First time i've returned anything to them hope they aren't a picky lot

Codey

Post by Codey » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:35 am

I'm using the Blackgold BGT3600 tuner, will I also have to install this patch to get HD over freesat?