Configuring Remote Access Outside of the House

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
lockdown571

HTPC Specs: Show details

Configuring Remote Access Outside of the House

Post by lockdown571 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:38 pm

So this is really frustrating. I simply cannot get port forwarding to work. It works fine on my good old DD-WRT router at home, but I can't get it to work with my dad's Verizon router. It's an ActionTec MI424WR-GEN2, Hardware verion F, firmware version 20.19.8. Every thing works fine over local wifi, but it doesn't work remotely. Ceton Companion services says port forwarding is not configured correctly when I test it.

In the router port forwarding section, I set the source port to 5832 and the destination port to 5832. The protocol is TCP, and the IP address is set to the Media Center PC's local IP address.

I've tried using a different port, and I've tried using separate ports for local and remote. I've also tried resetting the router and the Media Center computer. No dice.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 pm

On the MI424WR-GEN2, under Firewall Settings -> General what level do you have selected? Under High Port Forwards will be ignored. Just something to look at.

Edit: I just re-read. For your source port it needs to be specified as ANY. That means that you accept connections originating on any outgoing port on the remote host.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 pm

A few people have had some issues figuring out the Verizon routers. II had someone with the issue and from his description he port forwarded correctly, but I had him look at this screen cast:

http://www.screencast.com/users/vzteste ... d3c8f4ce38
So you would want to do this, but the protocol is only TCP, and then 5832 for the port. also go into the configuration for the companion services and make sure both ports are set to 5832 and hit accept. I also see that his settings for security are at the mid level.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

lockdown571

Post by lockdown571 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Thanks everyone for the quick response! Looks like it's working after changing source port to "any". The verizon router interface is super confusing. If only every router used DD-WRT :)

lockdown571

Post by lockdown571 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Also thanks again for your hard work on the app. You just made my mom so happy. Apparently my dad always calls her while he's out and about to pester her to record something for him. No longer necessary!

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:11 pm

No problem. Glad you are enjoying it. We will be trying to get a list of problematic routers and also firewalls/antivirus with the proper port forwarding for each. There are just so many that is the issue.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

okhomer

Post by okhomer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:40 am

lockdown571 wrote:Looks like it's working after changing source port to "any".
Thanks for this. I have killing myself since the app came out. This step was the only step I missed. Thanks. Now on to the other problems. See other posts. :-)

Bibbit

Post by Bibbit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Hello,
I have two HTPC's (well, one really plus I have my PC configured to use Prime). Ceton Companion was accessing both but no longer is. I did a re-install of Windows 7 on my HTPC and let my router assign it a new address. I updated the Companion app with the new address, and re-did the port forwarding, telling the router to use the new address. I can no longer get the HTPC to pass the port forward test, and I can't get app to use the HTPC. Any ideas? I deleted the old forwarding settings in the router, and added new. I've tried a couple of different port addresses, but nothing works. I do have Verizon FiOS and I believe the same router mentioned in this stream, or possibly a newer one. Any ideas?
Thanks

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Bibbit wrote: I can no longer get the HTPC to pass the port forward test, and I can't get app to use the HTPC.
Port forwarding is totally irrelevant if you can't even use the App on the LAN. Don't even waste your time trying to debug port forwarding until you've figured out how to get the App working locally!

You said it's a new install of the HTPC.

1) What are you using for a firewall?

2) If you point a web browser on the other, working PC at http://<ip address of HTPC>:<port on HTPC> do you get a response?

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Ensure that the date, time, and time zones are in sync on your PC and your Devices.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Bibbit

Post by Bibbit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Just got home, couldn't reply earlier. Thanks for the replies. I am using Security Essentials and I am able to ping the HTPC from another PC. I have tried 5833 for both ports, 5834 for both, and 5833 on one and 5834 on the other. No luck. I have the port forwarding set for 5833 and 5834 to the HTPC IP address in the Actiontec router from Verizon.

UPDATE #1: By the way, I can get in to both via WIFI, just not LTE.

UPDATE #2: The remote part of the app does not work.

Bibbit

Post by Bibbit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Well, well, well. I uninstalled and re-installed stuff. Re-did the port forwarding, and I think it is working. Didn't do anything different, but it is working.

chris_guzak

Post by chris_guzak » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:44 am

Does the My Media Center configuration tool use the UPnP IGD protocol (http://www.upnp-hacks.org/igd.html) to open up the ports on the router (including internal and external mappings)?

If so why is it necessary to open those ports on the router manually?

Is there a tool that can report the port mapping that the IGD has been configured for to see what the result is of the UPnP configuration done by apps like My Media Center?

<edit> I just read the .pdf that describes remote networking setup and it says that My Media Center does use UPnP. Can you confirm that the manual method is only needed if your router does not support this (or has a buggy support as I suspect is my case as it did not work without a manual configuration)? I have a DLink DIR-655 router. <edit>

Chris