Missed Recordings and Task Scheduler

z-vap

HTPC Specs: Show details

Missed Recordings and Task Scheduler

Post by z-vap » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi all. I used to be a registered member at the old forums. Just recently I have had a need to post here.

My HTPC is running on a Win7 Ultimate, 1 Tb HDD, with two Hauppauge 2250 tuners. For years there have been nothing wrong; series would record, shows would record. Recently I was installing another piece of software that I set a nightly Task to update itself.

However when I went into the Task Scheduler I was prompted with a series of error messages: "The selected task "{0}" no longer exists. To see the current task, click refresh". When researching this, I came across several people with this problem, many of them with just one corrupted task, I had 20+ corrupted tasks. I ended up following this solution to fix all of them: [http://answers.microsoft.com] http://goo.gl/uQRco.

After this, I noticed that if my PC was in sleep mode, the PC would not wake up to record anything. I spent alot of time looking at my Power Management configurations, Wake timers being allowed or not, Devices being set to wake PC or not, yadda yadda yadda. I ended up realizing that perhaps something in my Task Scheduler is not right with whatever Media Center does.

I followed another post from this forum where a lot of people tried to help someone with a similar issue. I am not sure but I tried some of what was suggested in that post. Primarily it was making sure that two tasks were set to "Wake PC" These are MCUPDATE and MCUPDATE_Schedule (I think).

Mine were already set like that. There is also another task named "ScheduleRecording" which was setup to wake PC. However the time set had past.

Yesterday evening I manually went into that task and reset it from 7 days ago to last night. I also took another suggestion from the OP of that thread and I decided to set those three tasks to "Highest Privileges".

This morning my PC was in Sleep mode, and when I woke it my shows had recorded. I don't know if it will continue to record or not. Worse case scenario I have to reinstall everything. However I will try and run the "Media Center Recovery Task", but I am unsure if that will reset my media center "tasks" if other ones are out of sync

z-vap

Post by z-vap » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Sorry I was unable to reply until just now.

well I woke Friday morning and the recording did not reschedule itself. So don't know if I should unschedule the shows, then... what? Delete the "ScheduleRecording" task, or leave it alone? I don't know.

Maybe I will just schedule some shows this afternoon, and take a peak in the task scheduler to see how they look

EDIT: well I decided to delete the task. Then I scheduled a show an hour from now, and looked in task scheduler. There was a notation for the show to record. I then set another show to record tomorrow at 4am. There was no change in the tasks. I deleted the recording for the first show, and task scheduler showed that 4am show was now next.

So I will leave the settings as they are for now, and I will see if the computer wakes to record.

z-vap

Post by z-vap » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Shows are recording as they should. Deciding to delete the ScheduledRecordings Task was a good thing. When I rescheduled a show, a new task was put there automatically. So that original ScheduledRecordings task must have been what was fudging things up.

All is good now.

Interestingly there were a few other tasks that I had set to run as LOCAL SERVICE, which were not. I had to change the tasks to run as the ADMIN user.

Better to do that, than reinstalling the whole PC :)