WEC and TGB.tv Cross Posting

The Green Button has risen from the grave. Brought back to life by a few enthusiasts who think the same way you do. Help us make this site better!
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

WEC and TGB.tv Cross Posting

Post by STC » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:30 pm

If I may suggest and certainly this is up for discussion from all, that members of both communities do not post the same question/comment on both forums.
By all means link between them as this will give all members the opportunity to decide where to post what. It also gives us the added benefit of extra exposure.
I personally feel posting the same thing on both doesn't really help either party and is actually detrimental to the common good.

Thoughts? :)

[edit 30th June]

The general consensus is if a member posts on both forums, please use this forum to post replies!! :D :D
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Hey stc. Personally I don't agree and don't see the problem with posts being duplicated on completely different sites. Also it would render the search as useless because it ain't gonna have anything to search for if all there is are links to other sites ( that's the extreme but hopefully you will know what I mean! :)). Just my 2p
Rich

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Valid comments. A point of note was a recent member posted on both, and another member said he already commented on the other forum. It made our thread pretty much null and void, which is fine, but wierdly annoying as I'd have to manually trawl the other site to get the answers.

It's a perplexing problem....

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Of course there is no right or wrong. I'm just trying to get a feel of everyone's thoughts on this.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Of course there is a wrong!!! Everyone should just post here...end of!!! :d
Rich

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm guilty...sorry about that. I saw the question on WEC first and answered it there. If I had seen it here first, I would have answered it here. I didn't crosspost my response, and I probably should have. I agree with StumpyBloke that this site should not be filled with a bunch of links to WEC or any other site when questions are duplicated. If this site is to take off, the content needs to be here, not somewhere else.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:16 pm

More valid points. No need to be sorry Richard :)

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:07 pm

I dont care about WEC, I never go there anymore.
I do feel that posts here shoudl be encouraged even if its duplicating whats on WEC

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:13 am

If this was about my post no wrong-doing was intended. The topic originated on WEC though, so it was only right to post about the solution ect there. I simply duplicated it here for those who won't be going to WEC anymore, no need for them to miss out on the information because they don't visit a certain site.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:40 am

Stak there is no wrong doing by anyone I just put the question out there to get feedback on what everyone thinks we should do :)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:31 am

Until this forum grows a bit, posting on both forums is the only way to achieve the best response to an issue.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Scallica wrote:Until this forum grows a bit, posting on both forums is the only way to achieve the best response to an issue.
Correctamundo that dude!! :)
Rich

epete

Post by epete » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:29 pm

stonethecrows wrote:If I may suggest and certainly this is up for discussion from all, that members of both communities do not post the same question/comment on both forums.
By all means link between them as this will give all members the opportunity to decide where to post what. It also gives us the added benefit of extra exposure.
I personally feel posting the same thing on both doesn't really help either party and is actually detrimental to the common good.

Thoughts? :)

[edit 30th June]

The general consensus is if a member posts on both forums, please use this forum to post replies!! :D :D
We should also post a link in WEC over to this forums reply. If we simply ignore the WEC question, it does not promote the HTPC community in general. Other readers in WEC may not be aware of this site and see the lack of interest in HTPC topcs and simply discourage them from getting started, wher a link to this site with teh answer, answers the question and promotes this forum.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:51 am

epete wrote:We should also post a link in WEC over to this forums reply. If we simply ignore the WEC question, it does not promote the HTPC community in general. Other readers in WEC may not be aware of this site and see the lack of interest in HTPC topics and simply discourage them from getting started, where a link to this site with the answer, answers the question and promotes this forum.
+1 :)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah I'm all for cross pollination!! Oohhh errr missus! :D
Rich

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:31 am

I know some will disagree, but I don't see anything wrong with having a link to this site inside our signature on other forums, as long as its not obnoxiously large. Here is my signature on AVS Forum:

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:20 pm

:D