What's the new path to place MCL files?

sippelmc

HTPC Specs: Show details

What's the new path to place MCL files?

Post by sippelmc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi all,

Previously in Windows 7 I used to be able to place MCL files starting in the following path:

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\Media Center Programs\

I could then create, for example, a subdirectory called "Radio" and place an MCL file calling an html file pointing to an internet streaming radio site. I could then put one each manually for each of my streaming radio stations. The MCL files would automatically appear as an app in the Radio folder of WMC. E.g.,

I could put two files in C:\Users\sippelmc\AppData\Roaming\Media Center Programs\Radio, "CJPX.MCL" and "CJPX.HTM"

CJPX.MCL contents:

Code: Select all

<application  name="99.5 CJPX - Radio Classique"		
 url="CJPX.htm" 			
 startimage="CJPX.JPG" 		
 thumbnailimage="CJPX.JPG" 		
 description="99.5 CJPX - Radio Classique - Montreal" 			
 category="1" 				
 companyname="">				
 <capabilitiesrequired  directx="false" 	
    audio="true" 				
    video="false" 				
    intensiverendering="false" 		
    console="false" 			
    cdburning="false" 			
 />					
</application>
CJPX.HTM contents:

Code: Select all

<script>							
function IsMCEEnabled()					
{								
return true;						
}								
window.external.MediaCenter.PlayMedia(1, "http://1741.live.streamtheworld.com:80/CJPXFM");
window.external.MediaCenter.Experience.GoToFullScreen()    
window.external.MediaCenter.CloseApplication();		
</SCRIPT>
In Windows 8, it seems that folder is gone now. I tried the "ehome" folders which appear to be new but no luck. Is there a new place where I can drop my radio station files or is that functionality now gone?

I'm aware of the streaming 3rd party apps but they really aren't very UI friendly and WAF dictates nice, easy to nagivate menus....

Thanks.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:58 pm

I just checked my laptop that has Win8 installed (clean install, not upgrade) and it has the directory that you say is missing.

Maybe try creating the folder manually and see if 8MC picks up the files in there?

I'll try adding a file to the directory myself later.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:08 pm

I just RDP'd to my laptop and added the two files you posted above to that location, it's still the correct directory :thumbup:
Rob.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:10 pm

On Windows 7 I use a different patch for MCL files you can try. It doesn't allow you to choose what strip they appear in - you have to use something like Media Center Studio (or w/e works on Win8). They will show up in the Extras Library. Worth a shot.

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Media Center\Media Center Programs"

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Probably a stupid question, sorry sippelmc!

I assume that you have hidden/system files and folders visible?

@staknhalo I don't see that folder under Win8! :crazy:
Rob.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 pm

holidayboy wrote:Probably a stupid question, sorry sippelmc!

I assume that you have hidden/system files and folders visible?

@staknhalo I don't see that folder under Win8! :crazy:
You have to create it - even under Win7. But then MCL files placed there show up in Extras Library.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Ahh cool!

I assume that the AppData folder described above is there by default though in Win7? - I did nothing to get it to appear in Win8 (other than install the MC add-in I guess)

EDIT:

Yep, I just checked my main HTPC via RDP and that directory is there in Win7 - I definitely didn't add it manually.
Rob.

sippelmc

Post by sippelmc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks. It appears to be an issue with the fact that I originally installed the PC using my Microsoft Account, and not a local account. That did not create the "Media Center Programs" directory in the %user% structure. Yes it exists by default in Win7.

A while ago I tried creating the folder and it didn't work until I made a local account. Logging in with a local account fixes it completely. So there's some WMC flakiness if you ever use the MS account option. Thanks again!

I guess the lesson learned is there's some nuances when using the portable MS account features and best stick with local accounts for HTPC use.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Good info - it all adds to our pool of knowledge! :thumbup:
Rob.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks OP. I had no idea this was possible. I just added several streaming stations based on your post, and they are working great. Nice to have this functionality in WMC to avoid using a web browser.

To add a little more info, HEREare all the properties, methods and events for the Media Center object with more details on what each parameter means in the posted code examples.

-MG-

Post by -MG- » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Bringing an old post to life as its exactly what I am trying to do, except I have wmc7.

I do not have the folder in either the user location or going through programdata and going through to start menu. I have also tried to create said directors and have no luck.

I also tried creating a new user and seeing if that changed it, but wasn't able to find the folder still. Any help would be appreciated

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:39 am

You do have them. But you must enable system and hidden files in view options to see them.

-MG-

Post by -MG- » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 pm

I do have hidden and system files being shown and can't find the directory.

I even tried just creating it myself but the mcl file doesn't Show up.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Mine is here, and it's empty unless I put something in it:

"C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Media Center Programs", not ProgramData.

-MG-

Post by -MG- » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:34 pm

mdavej wrote:Mine is here, and it's empty unless I put something in it:

"C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Media Center Programs", not ProgramData.
Hmm. I've tried adding a .mcl file with the following:

<application url=""c:\mywebpage\camera.htm"
name="My MCE Control"
bgcolor="RGB(1,33,186)"
startimage=".\cctv.jpg"
</application>

And I cannot get it to show up in wmc. Not sure what I am missing.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:11 pm

You seem to be missing a lot of stuff WMC needs. You pretty much need everything in the first post, i.e., thumbnail, description, category, capabilities, etc. You also need the script code in an HTM file. I think the best approach would be to create an HTM file your MCL points to. Then inside the PlayMedia script, point to your camera page. Not sure if that relative jpg path will work either. I'd go ahead and put that in the same folder as your MCL.

If I were you, I'd start with the example in the first post ver batim, get it working, then modify it for your camera page.

-MG-

Post by -MG- » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:31 pm

mdavej wrote:You seem to be missing a lot of stuff WMC needs. You pretty much need everything in the first post, i.e., thumbnail, description, category, capabilities, etc. You also need the script code in an HTM file. I think the best approach would be to create an HTM file your MCL points to. Then inside the PlayMedia script, point to your camera page. Not sure if that relative jpg path will work either. I'd go ahead and put that in the same folder as your MCL.

If I were you, I'd start with the example in the first post ver batim, get it working, then modify it for your camera page.
That did it. I think it actually has been showing up, but I thought I labeled it something else!

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Found this thread while trying to add an Internet radio station to WMC. I followed the OP's examples (thanks!) and got the MCL and station logo to show up under Extras, but all the URLs I've tried come back with an error:

"The file <URL> you are trying to play is missing, corrupt, or in a location that is not currently available."

I've tried a couple different URLs (streamtheworld and iheartradio's). Both play fine in a browser. Any clues to what I'm missing?

TIA.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:34 pm

Did lots of research and came across Relaunch, which made it pretty easy to create MCLs for the Internet radio stations I want. The only caveat is when launching them in Chrome (or another browser, too, I suppose), closing the browser, then launching a new station, Chrome complains that it was not shut down properly. It's really only a minor inconvenience, as it doesn't prevent the new station from playing. The workaround is to add the --incognito switch to the end of the URL, like:

http://someradiostation.com/station_ID --incognito

Since each new launch is a separate incognito window, it works like a champ. Now if if Chrome would not launch maximized every time, I'd be perfectly pleased. Please is good enough for now ;-)

HTH someone down the line.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:12 am

Great find on using incognito. Thanks.

FYI, the MCL/HTM method in this thread only works when you can point to a specific file on a site You can usually get this by looking a the page source and using the URL for the .m3u file or the call letters as in the first post. If successful, you'll get audio and program info. You have to resort to using a browser container if you want to interact with a web page or can't determine the specific URL in the source code.