Very sensitive to static?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
FrankAZ

HTPC Specs: Show details

Very sensitive to static?

Post by FrankAZ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 am

Hi,

After some teething troubles I am generally happy with my Echo because it does everything I need in my narrow use model of TV (WTV) and movies (MKV) in a second room. I look forward to further improvements in the firmware, perhaps improved buffering depth. However, I wonder if there is an improvement to be made in the hardware design for the next revision.

My Echo is very very sensitive to static discharges of the kind delivered by a person walking across carpet and nudging the Echo while picking up the remote. Even very small discharges which are too small to be felt by me cause the Echo to reset and on two occasions now completely revert to the factory unconfigured default. I would say that the Echo is much more sensitive than other devices in my home. Maybe this is the cause of some of the reported factory resets or configuration forgetfulness in these forums?

Of course, I realize the simple fix: stop doing that and put the remote further from the Echo. I intend to. But, I wonder if anyone else sees the issue or whether it is unique to my set up. Clearly the USB power cable has a greater impedance to ground than most other power solutions and that isn't helping matters. Maybe there is something iffy about the USB PSU block which is designed to charge double-insulated systems rather than systems with a metal chassis. What I would like is somewhere to fasten an additional ground wire so that whatever route the jolt is taking now (HDMI, USB power, Ethernet cable, all of the above) is mitigated by a preferred lower impedance path.

Frank.
i3-540 | DH57DD | 4GB DDR3-1333 | InfiniTV4 \ 2250 | Intel SSD \ WD 1TB | Silverstone GD05

leroys1000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by leroys1000 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:49 pm

I don't have an echo but I was so charged with static one day that when
I walked up and touched the case on my HTPC,the static jumped through
the case to the power switch and turned the computer on.
I did mess up a video card a few years back from static,so it pays to be careful.