Problem with HD on Xbox

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
roblightbody

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problem with HD on Xbox

Post by roblightbody » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Hello there everybody,

I love my Windows Media Center, and have stuck with it from XP to Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8.

With both Windows 7 and 8 I have a problem with both live and recorded HD TV when viewed on the XBOX - and that is that it quite frequently 'staggers' for a few seconds, usually until the end of that scene, until it starts working properly again. When I watch HD TV directly on the PC, it works fine.

Not sure what details are relevant? Its a Dell XPS7100 with AMD Phenom II X6 1045T processor 2.69ghz scoring 6.1 on Windows Experience Index. The Tuner is a TBS 6280 (twin tuner freeview HD). The router connects via gigabit lan to the PC - its a WNDR3700v2. The XBOX is a recent model (slim black one with the big hard disk).

Any help would be very gratefully received indeed!

Thanks,

- Rob

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:16 pm

How is the Xbox connected to your network?

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:17 pm

mdavej wrote:How is the Xbox connected to your network?
Oh sorry, should have said! Via an Ethernet cable. Also meant to saw that non-HD TV never causes any problems, either recorded or live.

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 pm

You may have a problem with the NIC card on your PC (hardware,driver and/or settings may be an issue) -- there are various threads covering things to look at setting on how the cards stream large files.

Also I had a similar problem with my xbox in the past and after thoroughly checking my network connection I finally determined that if my system was running low on memory it caused the PC to have issues streaming to the extender. I would check your computer memory usage when you are having problems to see if that is the problem. I use to run my system with 4GB after I upgraded to 8GB and haven't had a problem (even with 3 extenders).

Update.. See you just posted your system setup and it appears you have 8GB of RAM so that isn't the problem.

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 pm

jagrime2 wrote:You may have a problem with the NIC card on your PC (hardware,driver and/or settings may be an issue) -- there are various threads covering things to look at setting on how the cards stream large files. I had a similar problem with my xbox in the past and after thoroughly checking my network connection I finally determined that if my system was running low on memory it caused the PC to have issues streaming to the extender. I would check your computer memory usage when you are having problems to see if that is the problem. I use to run my system with 4GB after I upgraded to 8GB and haven't had a problem (even with 3 extenders).
Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

I don't think its memory. I'm just started an HD Stream on the Xbox just now, and the PC is showing 25% cpu, and 4GB out of 8GB memory used.

But I do think its the NIC and have looked at its settings before... what are the main things to check?

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Jumbo Packets (set to disable) and flow control (set to off) are the things I can remember off the top of my head. Also if you are using an onboard NIC verify the settings in the BIOS are the same as the Windows settings. Also if you are going through a router you need to check your router settings.

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Hello,

Reinstalled windows 8, clean, onto a new SSD (retaining the old hard disk with the TV recordings on it). The PC now performs superbly well.

However, now xbox playback is even worse - jumpy, hesitant and just hopless. I'm ready to give up and go and buy a YouView.

Surely this stuff should "just work" with a fresh install of Windows and a newish xbox, both made by Microsoft!! Are there lots more problems with Windows 8/xbox than with Windows 7/Vista?

Quite frustrated and disappointed :(

- Rob