Most Echo Settings Are Not Being Saved

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
gdkinsman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Most Echo Settings Are Not Being Saved

Post by gdkinsman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 pm

When I save my settings, the only one that is remembered is when I've saved different TV Resolutions, such as 720p vs. 1080p. Specific settings that I have changed that were not saved are: Disable Play Windows Media Center Startup Sound ; Start /screen saver after (minutes) from default 10 to 5 ; Where would you like your Echo to start? Live TV.

I have the latest firmware on my Echo as of today. I have not tried reinstalling the settings software on my PC yet. Is there an easy solution to this?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Have you had to "re-pair" your Extender? Those settings aren't Echo settings, they're Windows settings and would be stored by windows in the profile of the MCX...... user account created when you pair an extender.

gdkinsman

Post by gdkinsman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:34 am

I will only do a re-pairing if someone tells me for sure that is the solution. I had enough fun during the initial setup, I don't want to go down that road again unless I have to. Not so sure this would resolve the issue seeing as how I am able to change the resolution back and forth...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 pm

I didn't suggest re-pairing. I said that the resolution is an Echo setting, whereas the startup sound is a Media Center setting, so the Echo isn't responsible for remembering it. One reason why a Media Center setting might be "forgotten" is if the Windows Profile for the Extender account changes during pairing.

gdkinsman

Post by gdkinsman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:08 am

Since I'm not being understood here, I'll re-word everything and be much more precise.

Within Ceton when connected to WMC I select Extras>Ceton Echo Settings. When I edit and save any of the settings under General, Audio, Video, etc., the only one that is actually saved is the resolution. This interface looks like it is designed to edit and save settings, and yet it does not. I don't get it.

budandcarole

Post by budandcarole » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:06 pm

I have been watching this thread for a solution, and so far I have seen nothing. I have the same problem you describe; otherwise the Echo is performing well for me. Did you solve this "remembering" issue. I have entered a support ticket, but no solution yet from Ceton.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Have you updated the settings application?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 am

These settings are stored on the PC and Echo has no involvement in them. This sounds like some sort of permissions issue on your PC to me. I would recommend starting by deleting the Echo's account/profile and re-pairing it. If that does not resolve it, I would use Process Monitor while trying to change settings.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

budandcarole

Post by budandcarole » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Can someone post a step by step as to how to delete the Echo profile and re-pair. I know how to remove an XBox from MCE, but don't want to mess up things by doing something incorrectly. Also there was a questions as to whether the settings utility had been updated. It has not. Should it be updated? I look forward to some more help on this issue.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:46 pm

budandcarole wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Can someone post a step by step as to how to delete the Echo profile and re-pair. I know how to remove an XBox from MCE, but don't want to mess up things by doing something incorrectly. Also there was a questions as to whether the settings utility had been updated. It has not. Should it be updated? I look forward to some more help on this issue.
Download the settings application here:

http://update-echo.cetoncorp.com/get/echo/w7/latest

You can delete the echo from the Settings menu in Extenders on the host HTPC.

budandcarole

Post by budandcarole » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Thank you Sammy2. Is it recommended to uninstall the previous version of the settings software before installing the latest?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 pm

budandcarole wrote:Thank you Sammy2. Is it recommended to uninstall the previous version of the settings software before installing the latest?
No. It installs right on top of it no problem.. At least it did for me.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm not sure if this is my problem. But suddenly the HTPC would not wake from sleep using the Echo. Then after waking with Bluetooth keyboard the Echo pairs, but the settings are gone. This includes no music or picture library. I have to uninstall the Echo and repair to get the default scan directories to pick up.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:15 am

Hmmm seems like an issue with WMC. It might be trying to use the same user account over and over again, I would assume somewhere after you uninstall under C:/users the mcx user is there. You could delete that user from the PC and also delete the folders.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 am

After uninstalling it through WMC, the mcx user folders are gone.

I'm monitoring now, but it may be related to the timing on IP address assignment.