Netflix crashes at the end of a show

train_depot

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix crashes at the end of a show

Post by train_depot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:58 pm

If we let a TV show run right to the end then Netflix seems to crach MC with a black screen. Nothing will get MC to respond, the only way to get it back seems to be to kill it in Task Manager and restart it.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:02 pm

train_depot wrote:If we let a TV show run right to the end then Netflix seems to crach MC with a black screen. Nothing will get MC to respond, the only way to get it back seems to be to kill it in Task Manager and restart it.
This was a hot topic of discussion a while back. Do you have the latest and greatest Silverlight installed? If you do not, I'd suggest visiting the Silverlight 5 website and downloading it. Not that it will solve your issues, but it's step 1. I'm not sure anyone has found a solution that's universally accepted. I personally don't have this issue.

train_depot

Post by train_depot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:55 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:Do you have the latest and greatest Silverlight installed?
I assume so because this is a brand new upgrade to Windows 8 and MC, on starting the Netflix plugin, it had to first go and install Silverlight (seriously Microsoft? It can't come included with Windows 8?!)

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:53 am

By all accounts, Microsoft is soft-pedaling on Silverlight, and pushing for HTML5.
Geoff Coupe

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:05 pm

gcoupe wrote:By all accounts, Microsoft is soft-pedaling on Silverlight, and pushing for HTML5.
Which is relevant if you're thinking of developing something new and utterly irrelevant if you're using an already developed Silver light client application, like Netflix.

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:24 pm

foxwood wrote:
gcoupe wrote:By all accounts, Microsoft is soft-pedaling on Silverlight, and pushing for HTML5.
Which is relevant if you're thinking of developing something new and utterly irrelevant if you're using an already developed Silver light client application, like Netflix.
I was reflecting on the comment that Windows 8 doesn't come with Silverlight pre-installed.
Geoff Coupe

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:14 pm

Good point!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:
train_depot wrote:If we let a TV show run right to the end then Netflix seems to crach MC with a black screen. Nothing will get MC to respond, the only way to get it back seems to be to kill it in Task Manager and restart it.
This was a hot topic of discussion a while back. Do you have the latest and greatest Silverlight installed? If you do not, I'd suggest visiting the Silverlight 5 website and downloading it. Not that it will solve your issues, but it's step 1. I'm not sure anyone has found a solution that's universally accepted. I personally don't have this issue.
The problem was solved by un-installing a Microsoft hotfix in Windows 7. I'd guess that this hotfix is built-in with Windows 8, so you're probably SOL.