Display Error

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Scott24

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display Error

Post by Scott24 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:40 am

I am new to WMC and I am trying to get the family to like it. All of the channels on my HTPC appear to be working properly. In my main tv room I have an XBOX 360. Every channel I have tried worked on my XBOX except for TVLAND where I get a "DISPLAY ERROR". It states "DHCP may not be supported by the current display. Connect to a DHCP-compliant display or connect using an alalog connection such an component or VGA." Unfortunately this is a popular channel.

This does not make sence to me and I greatly appreciate any suggestions!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:03 am

It's HDCP "High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection"), not DHCP ("Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol " used for assigning IP addresses). It's saying that the TV or Monitor connected to the XBox isn't DHCP compliant, and you can't watch protected content on it in high definition. What model of display is it, and how is the XBox connected to it? If you're using a HDMI cable, can you try a different cable, or different HDMI port on the display?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 am

foxwood wrote:It's saying that the TV or Monitor connected to the XBox isn't DHCP HDCP compliant

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 pm

richard1980 wrote:
foxwood wrote:It's saying that the TV or Monitor connected to the XBox isn't DHCP HDCP compliant
Oops! :|

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:16 pm

It wouldn't be so amusing had you not gone through the trouble of pointing out the difference between HDCP and DHCP.

Scott24

Post by Scott24 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 pm

I apologize for the typo but I appreciate foxwood's intentional typo to make me feel better. In researching this problem, I found at least 5 channels now that work on my PC but not on my extender. I noticed all 5 channels have CGMS Protection marked as "protected-copyonce" and the rest of my channels that do work are marked as "none". I read similar posts about protected channels but theses are not encrypted. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Scott24 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:22 pm

I know that for Cable-Card tuners, content marked "CopyOnce" can be viewed on Extenders. I can't find a clear statement about whether that should be different for CGMS-A CopyOnce.

What model of display is it, and how is the XBox connected to it? If you're using a HDMI cable, can you try a different cable, or different HDMI port on the display?

Scott24

Post by Scott24 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 pm

The model number is Sony KDS-R50XBR1. I am using a HDMI cable and will try the other HDMI port.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:18 am

Scott24 wrote:The model number is Sony KDS-R50XBR1. I am using a HDMI cable and will try the other HDMI port.
The manual for that display doesn't mention HDCP, and it wouldn't surprise me if the display is the problem - the copyright on the manual is 2005. The display has a cable-card slot, so it should be able to handle protected content, but maybe not on the HDMI port.

Do you have a BluRay player that you could plug into it to test?

Scott24

Post by Scott24 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:15 am

I do not have a BluRay player. I should mention there was something I stumbled across this morning. The first time since I started troubleshooting, TV Land's CGMS Protection was marked as "none". I went to the extender and TV Land worked as expected. An infomercial was on. After finding the 4 other channels not working, I went back to TV Land and the CGMS Protection was marked as "protected-copyonce". A regular program was on and the extender did not work again. Regular programing has been on TV Land the remainder of the day and CGMS Protection has been marked as "protected-copyonce". I do not know what CGMS Protection is but it was a coincidense.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Copy Generation Management System encodes information in the stream about how/whether the content van be copied. You can't take a Copy-once recording and play it on another PC, for example. You can play copy-once content on an extender, but the display must respect the Copy-once setting too, which means HDCP is required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:35 pm

I experienced something similar when I first built my HTPC. It sounds counter intuitive, but it fixed my problem on the extenders. I got this info from Newfiend.

Try setting the Windows Sound properties to stereo (2-channel), and then go through Media Center's "Setup your speakers" wizard, and choose either 5.1 or 7.1 audio.

I know it doesn't seem to make sense that this would affect your extenders, but it did for me. Somehow, the two settings (in Windows and in Media Center) cannot be set to the same setting, or it causes HDCP conflicts.

If that doesn't work, try connecting the XBox to a different TV that definitely has HDCP in the specifications. See if the problem persists.
Last edited by barnabas1969 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:07 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I experienced something similar when I first built my HTPC. It sounds counter intuitive, but it fixed my problem on the extenders. I got this info from Newfiend.

Try setting the Windows Sound properties to stereo (2-channel), and then go through Media Centers "Setup your speakers" wizard, and choose either 5.1 or 7.1 audio.

I know it doesn't seem to make sense that this would affect your extenders, but it did for me. Somehow, the two settings (in Windows and in Media Center) cannot be set to the same setting, or it causes HDCP conflicts.

If that doesn't work, try connecting the XBox to a different TV that definitely has HDCP in the specifications. See if the problem persists.
Exactly, I just went throught this as well and Newfiend's post fixed me up as well.

Just to clear the air on CGMS copy protection or not, as long as HDCP is not broken, DRM will not be either. The only channels which may be problematic are CopyNever, or PPV. Those are limited recording/viewing by a DRV, somtines not at all, it depends on the event and carrier. All other premium channels which are subscribed to will work just fine.