TMT5 doesn't respect 0-255 PC black levels

staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

TMT5 doesn't respect 0-255 PC black levels

Post by staknhalo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Hey guys. Got a problem/some questions for you. I'm using TMT5 for folder BR playback from WMC's native movie library. The entire PC and TV are calibrated for 0-255 black levels. All videos work fine in the correct color space. TMT5 though, uses it's own levels which causes crushed blacks and overblown contrast. This was tested/confirmed via the AVSForum calibration BR disc via TMT5 and the AVSForum MP4 calibration video files via WMC video library. Now, in the TMT5 desktop/standalone player I can adjusts its brightness/contrast settings for movies to display correctly. However, these settings don't carry over to the WMC interface, and you can not adjust brightness/contrast in the WMC interface either. It was confirmed by another user on their forums as well. I've contacted support and they had me try some adjusted .ini files which did not work. They then said I'm basically shit-out-of-luck and would have to use the desktop player if I want proper black levels. :/ That does me no good as this is a WMC HTPC controlled via remote. On their forum, Arcsoft_Jason said that this would then be an engineering issue which they don't have sufficient resources to put behind a fix. Great resolution. Makes you appreciate some other companies :D

Anyway, my question. For those who have their HTPCs/TVs calibrated for 0-255, does TMT3 (via WMC) have this issue? What about those of you who use PowerDVD via WMC? And how about WinDVD (I don't even know if that has a WMC plug-in)? I know I could use MediaBrowser and configure it to use the desktop player; but I would rather use the native Movie Library so I don't have to install a plug-in just to use another plug-in. Seems stupid. Thanks for any help/feedback you guys can give.