Stereo receiver with HTPC and HDTV?

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
ctrumbo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Stereo receiver with HTPC and HDTV?

Post by ctrumbo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:13 am

Hi all

I have an ASRock Vision HT 321B running Windows 7 hooked into a Panasonic TC-P50U50 via HDMI. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how best to connect the system to an audio receiver.

I just got a new turntable and bought a pair of nice bookshelf speakers. My next purchase is going to be a receiver -- I'd prefer one with a preamp and a phono setting, naturally, which most stereo receivers but almost no AV receivers have. So if I don't care about surround sound and I wanted to run my HTPC setup through an audio receiver, what would be the best way to go about it, considering that the TV only has an optical out and most of the receivers I'm looking at only have RCA in? Would it make sense to plug the PC into the receiver instead, through the audio out jack? Would there be a delay or lag or anything like that?

Appreciate your thoughts

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:39 am

There shouldn't be any delay from the onboard audio unless there is a problem.
That would be the cheapest and easiest way to go for the configuration you're describing.
You would just need a 3.5mm to RCA adapter or cable to connect as the unamplified output levels
from the PC match up with the input of a receiver.
The adapter would need RCA cables but there are all in one 3.5mm to RCA cables.
Just change the default audio device in windows from the HDMI audio to the onboard audio.
If you really wanted to do an AV receiver,you can use a phono preamp connected to a CD input
or something.

ctrumbo

Post by ctrumbo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:46 am

thanks! sounds easy enough.