Season/episode in Guide?

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
NWW

HTPC Specs: Show details

Season/episode in Guide?

Post by NWW » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi,

I asked about this in the International section, but figured this would attract more views over here.

Does anyone know of a way to add season and episode number in the guide, so that when I record a series, it gets organised, and I know where to start from? I am using XMLTV files if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:34 pm

I don't know how/if it's possible to add season/episode info to the guide (I think not), but the way Media Center handles this by default is the pivot view 'Original Air Date' and it's relevant metadata information. This way you would see the episodes in the order they aired/correct seasonal order. It just goes from Latest > Oldest instead of starting at Season 1, Episode 1.
Last edited by staknhalo on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:56 pm

One problem (at least for UK users) is that the original air date is often not 100% accurate, we often have various seasons begin transmitted across several stations.

I'm not sure, but I think that many channels set the 'originally aired' flag to when it first aired the episode, when it could have been aired on a different channel years before.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:36 pm

holidayboy wrote:One problem (at least for UK users) is that the original air date is often not 100% accurate, we often have various seasons begin transmitted across several stations.

I'm not sure, but I think that many channels set the 'originally aired' flag to when it first aired the episode, when it could have been aired on a different channel years before.
That sucks that it's different across the pond, but here in the US it shows it based on the original air date of the episode; regardless of station/if it's on a syndicated network.

OP, the only solution then I can think of is to use a third party plugin to organize your TV shows. One which uses metadata from TVDB.org. Two I can think of off the top of my head are TV Library by Jack Luminous (http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 00775.aspx) or Recorded TV HD (http://www.recordedtvhd.com/). Personally I use TV Library and swear by it. It also gives you a YouTube and Podcast Library plugin :D You can check out some screenshots I made for it here : http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 292#p35292

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 am

I checked out both plugins, but didn't really like them :/, I'll give them another try.

I tried to correct my XMLTV files using XMLTVDB, a program made for ForTheRecord, but it changes the formatting, and can't be read unless I manually edit them. Does anyone know of a program that will input correct metadata from tvdb inside XMLTV, with Cover arts, etc?

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:03 pm

recordedtvHD is worth trying again

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Can I also add the shows that I'm ripping/downloading in there? And can it interact with my scheduled recordings to only record the épisodes that I'm missing in my collection, be it already recorded, downloaded or ripped?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:45 pm

NWW wrote:Can I also add the shows that I'm ripping/downloading in there?
Yes, either can.
NWW wrote:And can it interact with my scheduled recordings to only record the épisodes that I'm missing in my collection, be it already recorded, downloaded or ripped?
Neither of them will do that. The only way I can think of is to convert to .wtv or .dvr-ms and add appropriate metadata and store it in your Recorded TV library. Even then I don't know if it would work as Media Center keeps a log of shows it has recorded and if an episode doesn't show up in the log, I'm not sure if it will skip it if you have a custom file in the Recorded TV library or will record it because it can tell it never has.

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:03 pm

staknhalo wrote: Neither of them will do that. The only way I can think of is to convert to .wtv or .dvr-ms and add appropriate metadata and store it in your Recorded TV library. Even then I don't know if it would work as Media Center keeps a log of shows it has recorded and if an episode doesn't show up in the log, I'm not sure if it will skip it if you have a custom file in the Recorded TV library or will record it because it can tell it never has.
Well, that sucks :/ I'll try RTVHD again when I go back home.

If the developer of the app reads this, please, add it xD

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:24 pm

i certainly use RtvHD to integrate recorded and downloaded programs, it was my main reason for using it. As Staknhalo says neither will do the second part of what you're looking for. i've used MediaCenterMaster to kind of fill that hole, but its a paid app

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:36 pm

bobbob wrote:i certainly use RtvHD to integrate recorded and downloaded programs, it was my main reason for using it. As Staknhalo says neither will do the second part of what you're looking for. i've used MediaCenterMaster to kind of fill that hole, but its a paid app
I use MCM, but it downloads the shows, rather than record them. I'd rather record them (most of them in HD quality) than download them.

Cyterio

Post by Cyterio » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:43 pm

I also recommend Recorded TV HD. I've not tried the other one mentioned above, but with the combo of Recorded TV HD and the Windows 8 version of MCE Reset Toolbox V8, I can make media center perfect for my setup.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:12 am

NWW wrote:
bobbob wrote:i certainly use RtvHD to integrate recorded and downloaded programs, it was my main reason for using it. As Staknhalo says neither will do the second part of what you're looking for. i've used MediaCenterMaster to kind of fill that hole, but its a paid app
I use MCM, but it downloads the shows, rather than record them. I'd rather record them (most of them in HD quality) than download them.
i started with that view. 16Tb of media later and the appeal of a download being 1/10 the size of a recording means i'm downloading everything in HD quality. there's very little that i cannot find good downloads in 720p

NWW

Post by NWW » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:32 am

bobbob wrote:
NWW wrote:
i started with that view. 16Tb of media later and the appeal of a download being 1/10 the size of a recording means i'm downloading everything in HD quality. there's very little that i cannot find good downloads in 720p
Were it not for a download cap, I'd have done that already x)

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:58 pm

bobbob wrote:i started with that view. 16Tb of media later and the appeal of a download being 1/10 the size of a recording means i'm downloading everything in HD quality. there's very little that i cannot find good downloads in 720p
I wish I could go downloads only for that reason; but having become a wannabe videophile over the years and seeing compression artifacts in any download, no matter how good, means it's 1:1 disc rips for me. Plus sometimes you get the download with the TV station logo in the corner and that irks me too lol

scyto

Post by scyto » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Cyterio wrote:I also recommend Recorded TV HD. I've not tried the other one mentioned above, but with the combo of Recorded TV HD and the Windows 8 version of MCE Reset Toolbox V8, I can make media center perfect for my setup.
+1 - it all works so well, even on Windows 8 plus the RemoteTV HD guys even fixed a windows 8 bug for me in 24hours!

NWW

Post by NWW » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:02 am

Alright, my conclusion:

RTVHD works (fairly) well, I like the fact that it integrates with my TV Shows that I already downloaded, that's nice. I also like the fact that the developer is open to ideas and is available whenever I had an issue.

Other than that, I did some digging, and found this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 76338.aspx

In there, there is mention of Season/Episode data, but I've never found anything inside the guide to indicate that it reads those tags.

Does anyone has more insight on that?

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:34 am

I'm bumping this thread for a couple of reasons.

First off, the author of EPGCollector is adding a metadata lookup based on title of the series in the next release. Coupled with the addition of Thumbnails and movie posters, I can drop completely MS data, and go 100% OTA for Freesat.

Next, I found the holy grail for me: WTV-MetaRenamer.

It's a script that will lookup the recordings against thetvdb, remane them in a [Show Name] - S[XX]E[XX] - Episode Name and move them in a folder structure that MediaBrowser can read. It can also detect duplicates, and delete them. So I can finaly mix downloaded + Recorded TV shows.

I'm gonna try now both these options on French TV shows, and if that works as well (TheTVDB has multiple languages support), I'm gold!

Edit: Forgot to add.

I'm pointing my "Recorded TV library" at both the Recorded TV folder, and my TV Shows folder. So I can still manage my recordings inside WMC. For movies, I just use the native Movie Library.