Microsoft not supporting Netflix in Windows Media Center!?

Streder

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Streder » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:54 am

Same problem here on 2 computers running Windows 7 home premium.

Called Netflix, the service person had no idea what I was talking about. Asked his supervisor about it and his response was 'I didn't know what I was talking about. Netflix has never been available through Windows Media Center." I asked him to kindly let the idiot know that it has been available since 2009 and that I would call back when a different staff was in play.

I'll keep an eye on this thread with you guys.

I have done all the same old same old's - uninstall Netflix and Silverlight, clear registry of both, re-install. Nothing. Changed login and pass at Netflix - nothing.

This one has me stumped.

S

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:40 am

sr22 wrote:Why are some still working? I agree this is not an update issue.
He's making a list, he's checking it twice, he's gonna find out who's naughty and nice....

I guess if you've been naughty, then NO NETFLIX FOR YOU! Kinda like the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld.

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Mine has stopped working too. My kids watched some netflix shows around 6pm and then by 8pm I was getting the login screen which would not let me log in. I have windows updates sitting there to be installed, but have not installed them. Definitely think this issue is on Netflix's side.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Mine is working. Not sure why others are having trouble?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Maybe if everyone posts the version of Windows they are running, along with whether or not they allow Windows Updates to load, it will help find a pattern.

I'm running Win7 Pro x64
No Windows Updates.

EDIT: And, perhaps it's related to a particular ISP, firewall, or virus protection...

My ISP is Brighthouse Networks.
I am running the Windows Firewall.
I am running Microsoft Security Essentials.

EDIT2: Netflix works fine.
Last edited by barnabas1969 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertredd

Post by robertredd » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Win7 Pro x64
Windows Updates Regularly
Time Warner Cable
Running Windows Firewall
Running Microsoft Security Essentials

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:54 pm

You might want to add whether or not netflix is working for you :-)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 pm

foxwood wrote:You might want to add whether or not netflix is working for you :-)
Good point. Works fine for me. I edited my post above.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Win7 Pro x64
Windows Updates Regularly
Comcast
Running Windows Firewall

Netflix works fine.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:12 pm

Win7 Pro x64
Windows Updates Regularly (and current)
Optimum Online
Running Windows Firewall

Netflix works fine.

HTBruceM

Post by HTBruceM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:55 am

Netflix login also started failing on my system, began sometime in the last 2 weeks. Netflix login works on both xbox and web browser. Tried all the same stuff - registry, IE cache clear, changed email/user account and reset password at netflix.

Win7 Ultimate x64
Ceton InfiniTV PCIe
Windows updates enabled
Microsoft Security Essentials
Firewall enabled
ISP: Comcast

Something I noticed about the symptoms that I think is important...

When I get the error message, I notice my complete name in the upper right corner of the screen - so it does recognize me therefore I think the login insofar as the email/password succeeds. The error must be coming AFTER that point where the Netflix server is authenticating my account information. It seems like that process is what produces the error message as a popup dialog that you have to click OK to.

If I type in a completely bogus account name/password, I get a completely different response in a different place on the screen, not in a popup dialog box, and it obviously does not have my complete name in the upper right corner of the screen.

kwma01

Post by kwma01 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:34 am

I have been on a chat line with netflix and they appear to want to do something. I will post our conversation below. Sorry it's a little long even after I edited it. The gist is that Netflix says that Microsoft is not happy with them. Perhaps if everyone did the same they would get the message that they have messed something up.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Customer Service
You
What has changed in the last few days that caused Windows media center to stop working with Netflix?
I know that Netflix does not support WMC but something has changed with netflix that doesn't allow it to login. There are alot of people that are not happy with this change. You should checkout the following link. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 389#p37389

Netflix
Alright so yeah we actually do not support windows media like you said and yeah I agree with you it is very annoying, also that link you sent will not open to me.

You
You might want to check this one as well. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... c0557e1ffc

Netflix
I had WMC myself, but let me ask my supervisor so I can get the exact reason for you okay?

Netflix
Yeah none of them will open for me, we can't go onto other websites.

You
They just have alot of people complaining that they cannot login to netflix thru WMC. The funny thing is that a few people can still connect. We are trying to figure out what is differnt with their configuration.

You
We would really appreaciate it if you could look into what has changed in the last week that could affect the login operation.

Netflix
Well I talked to my supervisor and they are double checking there info for you now okay?

Netflix
Also no problem, I totally don't mind finding out for you.

Netflix
Just one second, they are getting off the phone.

Netflix
Alright so it looks like we actually haven't been supported with WMC in months, but so many customers were getting through the cracks for the longest.

You
So... how are people supposed to use their remote to operate Netflix? Everything worked well why stop it?

Netflix
Well are you having any issues on the browsers or is it just the media center?

You
The browser works fine but it sucks to have to dig out a keyboard when I used to use a simple remote. My wife is really pissed about it.

Netflix
Also I just found out this was an issue with Microsoft not being happy, this is definitely not netflix because we want our streams to be available for every device.

You
I will post this conversation on the links listed above so they will know what the Netflix position is on this subject. Is there anyway that a third party could provide an app for this?

Netflix
Awesome thank you so much, we definitely don't want to seem like the bad guys.

Netflix
Also not a 3rd party but we have plenty of devices we have that provide our app.

Netflix
Ps3. xbox, blu ray etc.....

You
You would think that if you support xbox you would be able to support WMC since they are both Microsoft products.

Netflix
Yeah I know, that is really odd. I'm sure there are some politics behind it that will never come out.

Netflix
Its just so odd how technology works, also tell your wife I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by kwma01 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwma01

Post by kwma01 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:39 am

Win7 Ultimate x64
No Updates
DSLExtreme
No Firewall
Avast

Netflix does not work

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 pm

W7 64 HP
All updates installed and current
Windows firewall
MS security essentials
Comcast chicago

Netflix works as expected.

The last time I had issues with Netflix I merely cleaned out my cookies and history and whatnot and it came back to life. I also cancelled my DVD service at the time simply because of the cold shoulder they gave regarding MC. I don't care who points what finger at who; it's Netflix that was giving me trouble and advising me to use a browser is BS. I spend a lot less renting from Redbox. When the day comes that NF is completely broken inside of MC I will cancel the last of the $ I am giving them and I'll call to tell them why.

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Win7 Ultimate x64
Windows Updates Regularly (though I have not yet installed the latest batch that is sitting there to install)
Comcast
Running Windows Firewall

Can't log in to Netflix through Media center.

burnsey

Post by burnsey » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:49 am

this is driving me scatty, i am in the uk and only signed up to netflix 2 months ago.

plugin will not install, and ive been down the road of command prompt on other forums.
the microsoft one seems to say all online content being stopped in wmc as of 20th september, this would tie in as i cant get any of that guff to appear either

soooo frustrating, have lost lots of nights and hours tinkering un installing and getting lost in dos script environments.

w7 ult 64bit
updates on
no netflix or online content anywhere in wmc :evil:

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:24 am

Adding another data point.... I just logged out and successfully logged back in - although I never had an issue in the first place...

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm hearing multiple reports that the error has been fixed- I haven't tried myself, but we may be out of the woods for now.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Streder

Post by Streder » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Mine is now working on two Windows 7 machines

S

cottonhills

Post by cottonhills » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:38 am

Netflix working on my wmc but at end of video WMC freezes - cannot even back out. The frame is frozen on the screen and WMC is unresponsive. I have to use task manager to kill WMC. Happens every single time. This just started for me this week, after a major windows7 update. Netflix still plays beautifully on chrome - if only I could use my remote.

My HTPC is Window7 x64, windows updates on, windows firewall, hauppauge cablecard tv tuner with ir, wireless network card, chrome, RegCure.

My htpc worked beautifully until I turned windows updates on a few months ago. Big mistake. With every update the pc gets slower. Slower to boot, slower to wake from sleep, much slower to start wmc and much slower to display channel listings in wmc. One update caused an issue with my tuner. 3 days later another windows update came out and fixed it.

I hope the decision maker to push that update is working through the holidays to fix it.