Where's my XBox?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
francorosso

HTPC Specs: Show details

Where's my XBox?

Post by francorosso » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:35 pm

OK, so I set up the companion with my Media Center PC (InfiniTV card installed) and my iPad's and iPhone, and it works great. I also have an XBox that is set up as an extender with the Media Center PC and it also works great for watching TV, but I'm trying to figure out how to make the XBox show up on the Companion. When I start the Companion app the only thing that shows up is my Media Center PC. Apparently if I have correctly set up the XBox to work with the Media Center PC then the XBox should show up on the Companion, but it doesn't. Anyone able to give me some help here?

Franco

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 pm

Is the XBox turned on, running in extender mode, and connected to the HTPC?

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:58 pm

Your xbox will not show up on the PC page, however extenders show up once you select a recorded tv/movie and start playback if more than just your PC is connected it will ask you where you want to start playback. Also on the remote there is "Controlling: " and then you can touch that button and it will pop up what to control.

Like this:
http://a1625.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/ ... 480-75.jpg
I Write, Code, and Tweet

francorosso

Post by francorosso » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 am

Ok well I obviously have done something wrong because there is absolutely no evidence of my Xbox. I went to the remote control page and there is nothing at the bottom of the page. But both the Xbox and the media center PC work fine when inuse them for tv without the companion app. What could possibly be causing this?

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:28 am

With your xbox on and in extender mode it shoudl work. Look at the short video here: http://cetoncorp.com/products/companion/
When I press watch it pops up and asks me where I want to play it to.

So when you go to the remote page on your iphone click on this button that I have highlighted. Does anything pop up to ask you which device to control.
Capture.PNG
Xbox will show up as MCX-User1-something, and your PC will be the name of your PC.

If it is not showing up, give the PC a quick re-boot when you have a chance just to ensure nothing odd is happening and then try it again.

Let me know,
james
I Write, Code, and Tweet

francorosso

Post by francorosso » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 pm

James,

You are exactly correct. Where I went wrong was assuming that the XBox would show up when it wasn't turned on or being used as an extender. Once I figured that out it showed up and worked wonderfully. Now there is a bug in the Companion app for the iPhone: When I select a channel from the program guide the app closes, completely. I can make a video of this and send it in.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Interesting... I don't think others are experiencing this, is it the latest iOS? I will check on it though as soon as I go into the office. Does it do this if you go in via "channels" section, or does it do it if you select a show from the guide?

Let me know
I Write, Code, and Tweet

francorosso

Post by francorosso » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Actually I can't remember exactly what the trigger is for the shutdown. Let me recreate a few times before you devote any time to this.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:38 pm

francorosso wrote:Where I went wrong was assuming that the XBox would show up when it wasn't turned on or being used as an extender.
That's why I asked if your XBox was turned on and in extender mode, connected to your HTPC.

francorosso

Post by francorosso » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Barnabas, thanks!

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:43 pm

francorosso wrote:Barnabas, thanks!
It is actually a common problem. If there are any ideas on how to make this clearer, maybe in the intro let me know.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

francorosso

Post by francorosso » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:08 pm

I would make it a splash screen as you install the app on your mobile device. IMPORTANT! Media extenders will not be visible on the Companion unless they are turned on and being used as a media extender!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Even better... add a way for the companion to remotely turn an extender on/off. I realize that this may not be possible with non-Echo extenders, but I'm sure you could add a feature like that for the Echo. Hmmm... I may have already submitted an enhancement request for this during the beta, but I'll go double check to be sure.