Any Android app that plays HD WTV recorded TV shows?

Experiences and questions about WMC on your iPhone, Droid, WP7, and more.
acegolfer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Any Android app that plays HD WTV recorded TV shows?

Post by acegolfer » Tue May 22, 2012 8:49 pm

My HTPC has 3 HD tuners recording lots of primetime shows. I'd like to watch those recorded shows on my Android devices. What player app can natively play WTV files over wifi/LAN? Please exclude transcoding/streaming options such as orb, plex.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Tue May 22, 2012 9:01 pm

I have mx player and it works good with remote potato.
Droid razr.

STC

Post by STC » Tue May 22, 2012 9:08 pm

RP right now and hopefully maybe Ceton Companion App, but we will have to see as it matures.

Also you are restricted to only being able to watch non-DRM material streamed, whether or not you are inflicted with the feature on some or all channels.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Tue May 22, 2012 9:45 pm

RP sounds like a streaming service rather than a media player. Correct me if wrong.

STC

Post by STC » Tue May 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Correct. I'm not sure any smart phone can natively decode .wtv files.

[edit] I see I misread your OP, sorry, but we got there in the end :)

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Sorry,I missed that part. To excited about leaving work. Lemme see if mine works and I'll get back to you.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Tue May 22, 2012 11:37 pm

I copied a wtv file right from my recorded TV directory onto my sd card. I went into mx player and it didn't automatically find it. However I went through my files and it opened up mx player and it played great.

STC

Post by STC » Wed May 23, 2012 12:35 am

Interesting. So can MX Player see remote files over a network? I don't have an Android.

fineazell1

Post by fineazell1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread but I hope this helps.

I use es file explorer to access the recorded TV folder across the LAN. I long press the file I want to open and choose "open as"- video.
Then I choose mx player to open. It's still laggy but it opens. Hope this helps.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:50 am

I believe VLC supports WTV. I haven't tried it on the android version though.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:27 am

I use BS Player (used to use MX player) and it works well, h.264 recordings can be slow to start playing though.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

shadetree

Post by shadetree » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:31 pm

fineazell1 wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread but I hope this helps.

I use es file explorer to access the recorded TV folder across the LAN. I long press the file I want to open and choose "open as"- video.
Then I choose mx player to open. It's still laggy but it opens. Hope this helps.
+1

IMO this combination has worked well for me over the others with a old GS1. The .wtv file extensions still require a long press in the browser to open/play/video, but MX can be set as the default player ignoring any others. Best to not have any other 3rd party players or codec packs installed for reliable performance. Also a codec is being developed at MX to view the file natively.

epete

Post by epete » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:39 am

When selecting LAN then search ES File Explorer lists all of the machines on my network. If I try to browse one of the machines, it says ligin failure (lists SMB Server off, Firewall, WiFi off) or other machines ask for my login credentials (and I am not sure what to enter.

I have my RecordedTV folder shared outside my home group and am able to brows with another W7 machine , so I think the SMB server is on and should not have any firewall issues.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:04 pm

I'm not sure of an Android equivalent, but I really like Stream2Me iPhone app to stream my Recorded TV flawlessly & steady.
http://projectswithlove.com/streamtome/

and Ceton Companion App for managing scheduled recordings remotely of course
http://cetoncorp.com/products/companion/

gergev

Post by gergev » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:10 pm

I got to this thread by googling "android wmc wtv app" and it was the 2nd link.
I've been trying to get my logitech revue to play wtv files directly from my PC's WMC "recorded TV" folder without transcoding, and it has been a chore.
I've found MXPlayer and BSPlayer can handle wtv video very well on my HP Touchpad loaded with tenderloin.

The MediaHouse app can find the shared "Recorded TV" folder on my wireless lan, and a wtv movie is selected, I'm presented with a list of installed media players to choose from.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ouse&hl=en

MovieBrowser UPnP is even better. It not only does the same thing, but displays more information about the movies, and was worth the $1.90.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... upnp&hl=en

dandys

Post by dandys » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:12 pm

I have used VLC with standard def WTV and it works fine. I have not tried HD (files are too large to be reasonable for long term phone storage anyway) but there should be no reason it would not work.

I have looked into streaming files stored on a server over a home network to the phone (needs separate app to view network attached storage, like ES file browser), but I have not yet tried it with WTV files from the server.

briagomoore

Post by briagomoore » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:53 pm

dandys wrote:I have used VLC with standard def WTV and it works fine. I have not tried HD (files are too large to be reasonable for long term phone storage anyway) but there should be no reason it would not work.

I have looked into streaming files stored on a server over a home network to the phone (needs separate app to view network attached storage, like ES file browser), but I have not yet tried it with WTV files from the server.
I have no problem playing HD with M× Player over a LAN. Now if I can just find something that browses a Lan folder as media.

DanWally

Post by DanWally » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:34 am

I know it's an old thread, but I recently needed to figure out this problem.

This was on my LG V10 (Qualcomm 810) using Android 6.0

I tried MX Player (the Pro version) and I got an error message stating that "AC3 is not supported" in SW mode. The video did play but without audio. HW and HW+ both said "Not Supported".

I then tried VLC and after brief pixelation burst, the video played fine and in sync. This was playing the video from ES File Explorer Pro on my home network. Locally it also played fine from both the built in memory and from my SD card. Also, unlike MX PLayer, VLC can use the local network shares (with username and password, of course) to get to videos directly in the app

On an old ASUS 10 inch tablet running Android 4.3. The video did not play well enough to watch using any program. Local or LAN.

A more powerful phone/tablet will be needed to play .wtv files without conversion.

BTW, I use Windows Movie Maker to convert the files to .mp4 when necessary. It's native and it works the best, but a bit slow. Just add/drag the files (and wait a WHILE for the video+audio to load up) and then click Save Movie and choose For High Definition TV to save in at least 720p. The faster/more memory your computer is/has, the faster the conversion. You can even edit the video --- if you have the patience!)

After conversion, any App will play the file, of course!

Hope this updates anyone out there.

P.S. Movie Maker for WinXP - 8.1 is no longer supported or offered for download by Microsoft. If you would like a full install copy you must get it from this website: http://www.windows-movie-maker.org/ I have d/l the files multiple times and have checked the files with 5 different Malware programs. Everything works fine and legit. (As always... follow your paranoia, if need be... :mrgreen: )

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:40 am

Kodi plays wtv's no problem

Emby...same thing...plus...Emby will stream them to you wherever you are LAN or WAN. No client necessary Android Samsung Internet or Chrome work fine

lachape_one

Post by lachape_one » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Yes VLC app for Android/IOS does it very well, for local or home network wtv files (with subtitles :)
It is supposed to have the same feature for Windows Mobile but the image freezes

https://www.windowsmediacenter.fr/2017/ ... netablette (in french)