Echo Remote Setup Question

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Chuckr53

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo Remote Setup Question

Post by Chuckr53 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:35 pm

I like the Echo remote, can it be setup to power on and control volume on my tv?

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 pm

I don't believe it can be programmed for that (kind of like the Linksys DMA2100 and HP x280n remotes could). However (and cooler IMO), I believe there's some HDMI-CEC support in the works that should handle doing this for you (i.e. you turn on/off the Echo, it will operate the TV power as needed).

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Really? No programmable buttons? HDMI-CEC is indeed cooler but an extender suggests that it's going in "another" room where, perhaps, the equipment is a little dated.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:23 pm

grinchy wrote:I don't believe it can be programmed for that (kind of like the Linksys DMA2100 and HP x280n remotes could). However (and cooler IMO), I believe there's some HDMI-CEC support in the works that should handle doing this for you (i.e. you turn on/off the Echo, it will operate the TV power as needed).
The inability to control the audio, if nothing else, is, to put it mildly, incredible. This remote, which only has the promise of CEC functionality at some point in the future, is frankly useless, unless you're happy to keep 2 remotes to hand.

If they're going to ship the echo with a remote that a lot of people are going to have to replace with something that provides basic functionality, they should at least offer the option of buying the Echo without the useless remote - the unit is more than expensive enough without having to pay for a remote that's useless.

mikbro

Post by mikbro » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:08 pm

The issue of the "quality" of the echo remote (or really any remote that comes with CE equirement these days) always amuses me. I have been using "universal/programmable" remotes for decades giving me one remote to control all my devices. I forget that there are still people that are too lazy or cheap to spend $20 on a remote that removes all the other device remotes out of the equation :D

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:19 pm

Same here, mikbro. I have a PILE of remotes that just sit on a shelf. They all came with CE equipment. In the olden days, I would use them to program my learning remote. But these days, all the programming is done from a computer... and all of my devices' codes are in the database already.

It's so nice to simply press one button to turn everything on, and then just watch TV.

When (not if) Ceton enables HDMI-CEC, that will be a nice extra, and I might use it to eliminate the HDMI switch that I'm currently using in the bedroom. My AVR in the bedroom only has optical/coax audio inputs... no HDMI... so I'm currently using a learning HDMI switch. When the HDMI switch sees the IR command that tells my AVR to switch to the "TV" optical input, it switches to HDMI port 1. When it sees the IR command to tell my AVR to switch to "DVD/LD", it switches to HDMI port 2 (my BD player).

When the Echo has CEC enabled, I may simply plug the Echo and the BD player directly into the TV. They can then tell the TV which HDMI port to use, and I won't need a separate HDMI switch. Nor will I need my programmable remote to send a "Power" command to my TV. The Echo and BD player can handle that for me with CEC.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:07 pm

mikbro wrote:The issue of the "quality" of the echo remote (or really any remote that comes with CE equirement these days) always amuses me. I have been using "universal/programmable" remotes for decades giving me one remote to control all my devices. I forget that there are still people that are too lazy or cheap to spend $20 on a remote that removes all the other device remotes out of the equation :D
A simple programmable power and volume buttons would make it less of a requirement to replace it, simply put.

Edit: I don't disagree regarding upgrading remotes but I also don't think "lazy or cheap" applies.