[Android] URL Scheme to Launch App?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Prindle19

HTPC Specs: Show details

[Android] URL Scheme to Launch App?

Post by Prindle19 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Is there a custom URL Scheme that the Ceton Companion App will respond to on Android?

I'd like to make a button in iRule to launch the app!

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:14 pm

In the next version 1.2.7 you will be able to launch it via:

PC List:
cetoncompanion://pcs

Home Menu (uses last picked pc):
cetoncompanion://home

Remote (uses last picked pc):
cetoncompanion://remote

Grid Guide (uses last picked pc):
cetoncompanion: //guide
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Prindle19

Post by Prindle19 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:58 pm

Awesome.

What about

cteconcompanion://pc1/extender3/

It would be good to be able to specify a particular extender so that if i'm in a room, using iRule or similar application for that room, then the Ceton Companion link would point the companion to that room.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:30 am

So how it works right now is that when you connect to a PC it will automatically save the last device you started playback on or used as a remote control. But if you have extenders it will pop up and ask you where you want to start playback or control each time. It is just how it is designed.

I can always expand on it a lot more with more custom commands instead of shortcuts to parts of the app over time.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Prindle19

Post by Prindle19 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:37 am

Yeah, my issues is I love all the capabilities of the app, but need to be able to control the rest of the system; not just the Echo / 360, etc. that is just 1 component in any given room.

Not sure if you're thinking about going beyond the extender space and into whole system control, but if not, I'm supportive of all cross platform, IP based means for controlling AV gear.

iRule seems pretty cool so far,and I'm using the WMC TCP/IP control with it to build virtual remotes for all my extenders.

But with that, comes the reality that I will want to bring my phone / tablet, etc, room to room, and same for other members of the family.

When they are in a room, they'll dive into that room in the controller, and would be great to allow them to dive right into the relevant extender for that room from iRule / other IP based controllers

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:41 am

Yeah I think the idea there will basically be to allow you to control the default device to control which would be very similar to what you have there.

I could see it being: cetoncompanion://pc1/device1

Takes a bit more work on my end though to get that actually up and running and coded differently. Lots of different automation type things that we can do, just a bit of different architecture though.

I recommend opening up a feature request with a lot of detail on it over at http://tracker.cetoncorp.com that way we can discuss it more. You can also post a link to that feature request here so others can track it.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Prindle19

Post by Prindle19 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:57 am

tad

Post by tad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:22 pm

FWIW, I'm also super interested in the ability to launch the app with URL schemes - I'm thrilled to see there's work on this!