Unable to connect to Echo from my WMC

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
LrngToFly

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to connect to Echo from my WMC

Post by LrngToFly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:07 pm

I have a simple gigabit wired network. I can ping the Echo's IP address from my HTPC. I have the firewall disabled on my HTPC. I'm getting a message to the effect "Extender not found" when I go through the checklist screen. I rebooted the HTPC and WMC had a notification in the lower right corner saying the Echo was detected, but when I go through the wizard and do the checklist screen, I get the not found error.

Anyone have any ideas for what to try? Thanks!

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Did you get the setup code from the echo screen? Did you get a new one after you rebooted? And you are putting that in your HTPC in the extender setup? I know this sounds dumb, but I did not know that the echo's code changed each time you restart it.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:13 pm

soccerdad wrote:Did you get the setup code from the echo screen? Did you get a new one after you rebooted? And you are putting that in your HTPC in the extender setup? I know this sounds dumb, but I did not know that the echo's code changed each time you restart it.
Mine doesn't?? It would defeat the purpose of a remote DVR if you had to run to the HTPC each time to enter a new code. Something's wrong.

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 am

No, it is only when you are first setting up the extender. Once done, it connects every time. On my echo, I got the code, then put a sticky note on top with the connection code. Then I rebuilt the HTPC and had to re-pair the echo to the HTPC To save time I just used the sticky note numbers and the HTPC could not connect to the echo. I then went back to the echo and got the number and it was now different than what I had written down. So I thought the OP might have tried it once, failed for what ever reason, changed stuff and rebooted everything, then tried to use the same connection code. At that point, it is quite possible that the code had changed since the HTPC had never connected to the Echo. I know it is a stretch, but it did mess me up for a few minutes.

LrngToFly

Post by LrngToFly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:37 am

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I have rebooted the Echo multiple times, and always get a new code each reboot. I've tried the new code, but no luck.

I ordered two Echos from Newegg. When I got home from work, I was able to try the other Echo and it paired just fine. I tried the non-working Echo on a different network jack and different TV and it still will not pair. I even tried pairing it to my "workstation" (desktop) PC with Win7 WMC instead of my HTPC (also Win7 WMC) and it won't pair to my other PC either.

I've opened a support ticket with Ceton...

LrngToFly

Post by LrngToFly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:39 am

I got it working- I logged into my router, revoked the DHCP entry for the non-working Echo. I rebooted the Echo, punched the code into WMC and this time it paired. Not sure why it wasn't working- strange...

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Glad you got it up and running.