Xbox extender, troubleshooting AVCHD (.m2t) and .avi playbac

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
dis737

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox extender, troubleshooting AVCHD (.m2t) and .avi playbac

Post by dis737 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:41 pm

1. Both .m2t and .avi files play perfectly on the HTPC through media center

2. On the Xbox extender, the .m2t files play flawlessly for about 10 seconds and then start severe stuttering. (I can typically pause and get another 5-10 seconds of play before stuttering starts again). All DVR HD content plays fine w/o stutter.

The .avi files play flawlessly for about 1 minute and then I get a "connection failure" message and have to reconnect to the WMC

3. The .m2t files play fine through the xbox dashboard from the same PC without stuttering (but at a somewhat lower video quality for some reason)

The setup is a Dell xps Win7 64bt w/ an I5 and a Broadcom Netlink GB NIC, Trendnet GB switch, Cat5e and Cat6 cabling. I have tried adjusting NIC settings, different switch and router setups discussed here to no avail. Under task manager on playback, CPU usage never goes above 20% and network usage above 12%. These are Sony camcorder files

Any thoughts/suggestions on what I should try next?

dis737

Post by dis737 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Here is my router/switch configuration and what I have tried

1. The base configuration is the HTPC, Xbox and HDHR plugged into a Trendnet TEG-S8g GB switch which is uplinked to a Trendnet TEW-652BRP router

2. Tried plugging the HTPC, Xbox and HDHR into a Trendnet TEW-652BRP router by itself

3. Tried plugging the HTPC, Xbox and HDHR into a Linksys WRT54GS2 router by itself

4. Tried plugging the HTPC, Xbox and HDHR into the Trendnet TEG-S8g GB switch alone (once DHCP addresses were assigned, I unplugged the uplinked router so it could not interfere w/ the switching)

Flow-control is enabled on the Broadcom NIC

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Have you tried removing the extender connection completely from both the HTPC and the XBOX, removing the optional media update, then readding the extender and optional media update? Maybe a corrupt file somewhere?
Have you checked device manager for your NIC for the latest drivers, also check to see if there are options to turn off power saving options for your NIC via Device Manager, if the NIC for some reason is entering some power saving mode (around 10 min into use) it could cause this problem. You may want to check the same thing for the HDD as well and adjust any power saving options to disabled. Have you tried using another NIC? I have heard great things about Intel NICs for problems like these.
newfiend

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

dis737

Post by dis737 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Have you tried removing the extender connection completely from both the HTPC and the XBOX - Yes

removing the optional media update - Not sure what your talking about here?, no worry of a corrupt file, the file plays fine through the dashboard

Have you checked device manager for your NIC for the latest drivers - Yes
I have also tried all different combo's of recommended settings changes. I don't think its the NIC or Switch.

I ordered an Intel NIC just to make sure.

I re-encoded one of the files as a WMV file and it played fine, but that shouldn't be necessary. I need/want to keep the files in their native format.

Thx for responding.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:43 pm

A few other thing I thought you might check, any options in the bios for HDD/NIC power saving options? Have you checked there to see if there are any adjustments that can be made? Motherboard using the latest Bios? router/switch have the latest firmware?... It sounds to me like something may be trying to power down maybe since it starts ok then after a bit it does this.. Is the NIC built into the MB ot is it an add on card?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Xbox optional media update, I would install this. Don't think it addresses your issue here but it adds support for Dolby and other file formats, Lets you play unprotected music (AAC format) on your console from Zune or iPod. Lets you play MPEG4 movies on your console. http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02fffe07df

dis737

Post by dis737 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I will try the "optional media update" today and see if it makes a difference. thx.

I have disabled power saving options already.

The more research I've done into this is pointing me in the direction of the Xbox not being able to handle the bitrate of the files.

Supposedly the Xbox can't handle >15mbps and these files are 25-30 mbps, but the re-encoded .wmv file was 24 mbps and played fine?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Bit rate can make a difference, I have some .mkv's that will play and some that will not and I think this may be happening to me for the same reason, although I get audio but no picture. Or it will buffer forever and just not play at all.

dis737

Post by dis737 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:43 pm

That's similiar to how the problem starts for me, it buffers the data, starts to play and then video begins to freeze, but audio keeps going sometimes. It seems like Microsoft has intentionally limited the Xbox's ability to read high bitrate HD recordings in standard AVC/H.264 wrappers to favor their own WMV container, even though the hardware is more than capable of handling it.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm

There is always the option to convert to .wtv as well.. I am anxious to see just what the ceton echo can do, I may end up replacing the Xbox if it works better.

shad0wrider

Post by shad0wrider » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:37 am

Hello, I'm experiencing the same problem. Were you able to fix your issue? If so, how?
Thanks!