5.1 sound through DVI ???

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
kc10boom

HTPC Specs: Show details

5.1 sound through DVI ???

Post by kc10boom » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:00 am

Back in the days, I thought you could only play video only through a DVI connection. I went out and bought a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to go from my GTX460 to my Yamaha receiver. Turns out the GTX460 requires some funky HDMI connector, so I used my DVI to HDMI cable that I had laying around.

I run from the DVI connection on my GTX460 to my Yamaha receiver and now I have 5.1 surround sound and 1080p video. Did something change that I completely missed, I thought you could only do video only from DVI unless this card is special and has audio/video going through the DVI out. :?: I got my Play Ready installed, display set up, ran the test so Windows updated the system settings to record/watch TV, and 5.1 surround set up in Media Center . I'm all ready for the cable guy in the mornig. :clap:

Regardless I'm happy, saves me some money and I can use a cable from my "box of cables that I'll probably never use again" stash :D

joevulture

Post by joevulture » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm

It is possible, I had an Asus video card that with either their driver, or a special ATI hardware dongle would transmit audio over the DVI port.

The Wikipedia page for DVI seems to indicate that it might be a matter of the EDIDs that are sent.

-- Joe

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 am

As you have seen, DVI can do audio.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation