Media Browser and Xbox 360 extenders...

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Browser and Xbox 360 extenders...

Post by werds » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:34 am

Soooo, I tried out Win8 and it was completely hosed, wouldn't pull down guide data properly, refused to play live tv claiming codec was missing or files were corrupt, wouldnt play any video or movies in my collection (and all of them are in .wtv or dvr-ms format). So finally I gave up on the experiment and reinstalled a fresh Win7 Pro

So I finally have everything back to normal, live tv works, guide data is great, it sees my movies and all, Media browser looks good... so I add my xbox 360's and neither one of them shows the CORRECT folders under Media Browser... actually they only show ONE of the 6 folders (all on the same share drive mind you) in its UI... I walk back downstairs to look at the main HTPC and all the folders show fine without a hitch...

So what am I to do? Everything else is good but now I have lost the ability to SEE the folders I store my movies on with my extenders... am I missing something small? Or is this another one of those mysteries of the black box? Media Browser makes me want to cry sometimes with how temperamental it is! =(

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 am

what format are the videos where the folders don't show up? some people have previously reported issues with getting mkv's to show up properly in explorer / WMC

werds

Post by werds » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:45 pm

bobbob wrote:what format are the videos where the folders don't show up? some people have previously reported issues with getting mkv's to show up properly in explorer / WMC
I converted my whole library into dvr-ms and .wtv files. I am wondering if maybe I could uninstall Media Browser and then blow out all mention of the two extenders in all the media browser caches and then have it rebuild if that would work. Problem is locating all the locations info is saved... I know each extender gets an individual profile just from when I originally open recorded tv in each I have to set the view preferences for each...

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:12 pm

what type of database do you use in MB? i use the sql lite one and regularly trash is to rebuild it. not always because of problems, mostly because i've moved the media around

werds

Post by werds » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Honest answer, I have no clue! I merely install Media Browser, point it towards the folders with the movies in it and call it a day :lol: Just trying to figure out why in the main HTPC everything shows but on the extenders it only shows ONE of the 5 folders from the library :(

My wife gave me a dirty look this morning when I told her the movies only work downstairs... she is at home with the 2 year old all day and is unhappy with being tethered to the living room for movies heh...

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:49 pm

werds

Post by werds » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:14 pm

Oddly enough I tried the tool in that thread and it error'd out I think maybey I should try going into the config and changing the location of each folder to list the UNC?
I found out my problem:

I was using mapped network drive paths to the shares e.g. Z:/movies

I SHOULD have been using UNC paths e.g. \192.x.x.x\movies
Not sure what else to do since that tool wasn't working and since it was 2am and I had work this morning I called it quits cuz my brain wasn't working. Ima try changing the locations in Media Browser configurator to state the exact IP address for the HTPC and see how it works..

Not sure how the shared permissions are borked as I have them currently set to share with Everyone as the permissions...

Or maybe my issue with the tool from Tobin was that I didn't unmount my shares? (not sure how to go about doing that on Win7 though) Just odd it was working fine on last install without any of these issues :(

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 pm

i just do my unc path as \\htpc\h\movies\

werds

Post by werds » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:05 pm

bobbob wrote:i just do my unc path as \\htpc\h\movies\
Yea, I changed all my libraries in Media Browser configurator to that format and still no change in what the extenders show... I really dislike that I may have to do a reinstall of a reinstall in hopes of fixing the MediaBrowser issue lol... still haven't given up on it though... hell I may just rename the one folder that works and dump all my other movies inside that one ;)

werds

Post by werds » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:14 am

I have lost track of how many different things I tried that failed, multiple versions of Media Browser etc... Finally (I hope at least) I used a spare drive to move movies over to and reformatted and re-partitioned all of the non system drives in my HTPC and then moved over JUST the movie files to the freshly formatted drives. re-installed MB and everything APPEARS to be showing properly atm on both my HTPC and on both browsers... We'll see if it holds up over time, didn't think a fresh install would be such a headache but apparently clearing out the cobwebs of permissions attached to drives and folders was necessary... now if I can figure out why all of a sudden I get such heavy stutter and frame issues when I playback recorded tv shows and we will finally be back to where we were before my grand Win8 experiment blew up on me!