Anyone using the new Trinity APU for HTPC?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
bandook

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone using the new Trinity APU for HTPC?

Post by bandook » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Was just wondering. I almost got the last gen but held off worried that the GPU power wouldn't be adequate without installing a dedicated card. So when the a6 5400k was available here I jumped on it. I'll be getting it installed along with my ceton infinitv4 this weekend. If anyone is interested I will get benchmarks/ power usage and general experience impressions and post them here.

tommo

Post by tommo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Is that the £40 chip?

I think 65 watts would be the max I could put in my htpc under the stairs.

i'd be interested to know.

I like the idea of the trinity as its enough power for 1080p mkv etc and you get the advantage of midrange type games, which is nice.

Cheers

bandook

Post by bandook » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:14 pm

tommo wrote:Is that the £40 chip?

I think 65 watts would be the max I could put in my htpc under the stairs.

i'd be interested to know.

I like the idea of the trinity as its enough power for 1080p mkv etc and you get the advantage of midrange type games, which is nice.

Cheers
I paid $80. :). But yeah its a 65w chip. I did a quick idle reading with a cheap PSU that I won't be using and it was showing 45w at the wall.

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:24 pm

I just purchased the A8-5600K APU and thought I might ask a follow up question. The board manual states that they recommend a 500W PSU minimum. The 530 I had lying around is dead and the one currently in my media center is a 400W. Do you think it unwise to run it on the 400W until I can get the new PSU in the mail? It is powering the board, APU 2x4Gig Ram, Blu-ray, SSD, HDD, and InfiniTV4.

I only ask because the hardest part about upgrading the media center is doing it on a day when nothing is recording and my weekends have been too hectic.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:34 pm

You shouldn't need a 500 watt PSU for a HTPC, unless you've overengineered the hell out of it, and put in an unnecessary high-end video card. It makes sense for the board maker to recommend a higher PSU, given that there is so much focus on over-clocking and gaming frame rates in the self-build market, but the focus for a HTPC should be quiteness and power efficiency

Here's a couple of online PSU calculators from Thermaltake and Newegg. They don't specifically list the new FM2 socket, but if anything, it should be more efficient than the earlier models.

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks Fox. I really havent over engineered the HTPC, but never noticed a manufacturers recommendation previously for minimum powersupply, but there was a disclaimer in the manual so thought I would get other peoples thoughts. Also had not heard much about the power useage of the Llano or Trinity APUs so I had no idea what to expect.

Sounds like my trust 400W 80+ PSU will live to fight another day.