Netflix freezing every 5 minutes.

lurch66

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix freezing every 5 minutes.

Post by lurch66 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:10 am

Is anybody else having problems for the last couple of weeks or so where Netflix will start the TV show fine but after about 5 minutes it stops playing and needs to be stopped and restarted to get it to play for another 5 minutes, VERY ANNOYING! I know Netflix does not officially support the WMC version of Netflix but I was hoping for some help troubleshooting. My waf is going down by the day. Would uninstalling and reinstalling silver light help?

I am running a windows 7 64 hard wired to a gig router getting 25 MBPS down and 15 MBPS up.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 am

no problems here

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:57 am

Have the latest version of Silverlight installed? Mine seems fine as well no playback problems. Latest drivers for your Nic installed? DirectX updates installed?

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:42 am

Thank you for the replies adam1991 and newfriend with another new avartar, nice! So far I have uninstalled and reinstalled silverlight as well as confirm I have hardware acceleration checked. I did recently update the drivers on my nic I wonder if that is the cause? I will check for any DirectX updates as well. Thanks for the advice.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:06 am

I went back to the previous nic driver and still not luck. I am already running direct x 11. the next thing I will try is uninstalling the netflix plugin from media center and reinstalling. I don't remember if it pops up by itself or if there is some special trick to reinstall it as I have not done it in over a year. Ill report back soon.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:08 pm

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35 run this and install any updates. its for 9.0c but it has helped in some situations by updating.

Netflix for Media Center:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... Center.exe

Latest Silverlight Dl: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 pm

new nvidia driver to test as well.. x64 bit http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7- ... river.html
have you tried using a network meter to see if the signal is dropping out or off as well?
newfiend~

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Thank you newfriend I uninstalled and reinstalled netflix from media center. When i unstalled it it was still in the media center start page but when i clicked on it it stated it needed to be installed. however it is still stopping during playback. I did not know there was a new nvidia driver available I will try that today.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:18 am

If nothing else helps open MC in a window, Hit CTRL,ALT, DEL.. open Task Manager/ Networking TAB. Start a show from Netflix in MC and watch the network meter... When the show drops off or "Locks up" does the connection drop out?

If so try this below and try it again..

If you open device manager and double click on your network adapter. On the power management tab is a check box that says allow the computer to turn off the device to save power. Uncheck that and see if that makes a difference... usually this shouldn't cause an issue but you may have gotten an updated buggy driver..

newfiend~

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:36 am

Update) Installed new nvidia driver and no change. I can play the same netflix episodes via google chrome without problem. I had already unchecked "allow computer to turn off device....) to no avail. (good tip though) I will look into the network meter and see what it says.
I also called Netflix today and they stated the media center netflix app is not fully compatable with media center and I should use a web browser for a more consistent experience and gave me the number for silverlight for further troubleshooting. Kind of expected that response but thought i would give it a shot. On a good note this may be just the thing to convince the wife of a new apple TV to go along with her Iphone 4.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:49 pm

When did this trouble start? Was it after the last MS Patch Tuesday? You can also check any new windows updates that have been applied to the machine.. Might be worth a check.. And apple TV?? Say it isn't so... :)

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:38 am

It definitely could be one of the ms patch but is has been a few weeks now. I will look into this further. For now I am using Zinc.TV leanback with relaunch and it is working like a champ. As far as the apple tv I will never replace my beloved HTPC it would just be for netflix and airplay. I think i read somewhere that apple tv has 5.1 sound on some netflix titles. I was also looking at refurbished Samsung blu-ray players on Amazon for 40 to 80 bucks with smart apps (ie netflix) that may be worth picking up. As of now I have to rip my blu-ray's before I can watch them which is a 30-50 minute process depending on the movie and you can only image my 4 year old son with a shinny new blu-ray that my wife or I just picked up trying to explain why he has to wait 45 minutes to watch it. Having a stand alone blu-ray player on hand would be nice. I know I could by something like TMT or the like but I am very happy just using Media Browser with MPC HC, gotta love open source. Thank's again for all your help, You are a great asset to the green button community.Ill keep you posted.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:26 am

Did you get this figured out?

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:23 am

Thank you for asking. after using zinc I grew to like the interface for multi season tv series as it shows many episodes/seasons on one page. I have added all my tv series to zinc's favorite queue. I am using my wii to watch everything else in my instant queue. The wife really likes the new interface on zinc as well so I cant ask for much more. The only thing left now that we are switching inputs on my av receiver much more often is to grab the gefen hdmi detective to fix the no audio/wrong pic size problems when switching back and forth. good thing my birthday is next month. At this point I will try the wmc netfix plugin each time Microsoft comes out with windows updates and see what happens but I am not to worried about it for now.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 am

Some good news after the most recent round of windows updates netflix is working without freezing again. Nice to be able to use it again.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 am

lurch66 wrote:Some good news after the most recent round of windows updates netflix is working without freezing again. Nice to be able to use it again.
great news.. gotta love windows update??
lol

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:21 am

Hope you guys don't mind if I ask a Netflix question. Does Netflix need to be Port forwarded? http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... etflix.htm

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 pm

No, Netflix doesn't need to be port forwarded. The instructions on that page would set up port forwarding for a web server on your PC.